Skittish BA Tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gilpi

Aquarium Advice Addict
A few weeks ago I decided to add eight Buenos Aires Tetras to my 55g where I have eight mature Tiger Barbs for a couple of years. The barbs were always up front gracefully swimming in a group, following whoever walked past the tank, added the tetras and right away they all grouped together, both the barbs and the tetras school together, no issues as far as fighting or nipping each other but the tetras seem to be very hyper, skittish and easily spooked which makes the barbs follow as well. After a few weeks, I now have a very tight group of fish that group together in a corner of the tank or in hiding. It is beautiful to see how any one of the fish comes out and they all follow in a group but the only time they are up front is during feeding, they all eat very well but the overall feeling in the tank now is very nervous. I consider myself experienced in fish keeping but this is my first time with tetras, is this typical behavior for them?

I don't trust tiger barbs or any barbs for that matter. They will bully anything. I had 5 in a tank. The little bigger one bullied the smaller ones. Every fish in that tank was scared of him. From angels to swordtails he picked on them all. I had to put him in a tank by himself.

I don't trust tiger barbs or any barbs for that matter. They will bully anything. I had 5 in a tank. The little bigger one bullied the smaller ones. Every fish in that tank was scared of him. From angels to swordtails he picked on them all. I had to put him in a tank by himself.

I started a tank with 10 tiger barbs well over 2 years ago, never had the pecking issue though I've heard they're a pain when kept in small groups as you mentioned, they are cool fish to have when you can get 10 or more. Mine are doing well together. My thought was to get another 5 or 6 more but decided to go with the tetras instead. The tetras spook easily and it's funny how the barbs follow the tetras but it seems the barbs are mimicking the tetras wacky skittish behavior.

To answer my own question...After having the BA tetras for a few weeks now, Im realizing they are very sensitive to lighting, went from two strips (florescent) down to one and still need a little more filtering :(

It is great to see the Tiger Barbs and the Tetras grouping and schooling together, was not expecting that. I'll see if I can post a short video.

Back
Top Bottom