Skylight's 90G tank setup jorunal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SkyLight

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone,

I currently have a 10G Goldfish tank and I am setting up two new tanks:
- 20G tank that will eventually be my quarantine tank
- 90G tank that will sit in my living room for our enjoyment. This will be a planted freshwater tank with beautiful fish (that I am yet to decide on)
I will use this post to journal my experience in setting up the 90 G tank and will look to your expert advice for help. Thank you in advance for reading!

Equipment:
- 90 G Seapora tank with stand and glass covers
- Eheim 2217 Classis canister filter
- Hydor 300W inline heater
- Eheim 300W submersible filter (won't install this - will keep as backup if needed)
- Finnex 24/7 planted cc 48inch light
- Python 25 ft aquarium cleaning system from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/25-Foot-Python-Aquarium-Maintenance/dp/B000255NXC/)
- A digital thermometer bought from Amazon (Pack of 3) (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016WFTLKG/)
- API MASTER TEST KIT Aquarium Water Test Kit from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000255NCI/)
- 2 big pieces of Driftwood from LFS
- A large plastic storage box to wash the driftwood (from Walmart)
- A couple of buckets from Walmart
- 8 ft power extension cord with surge protector from Amazon
- Wire concealer from Home Depot to conceal the extension cord from view
- 12lb of dragon stone
Substrate:
- Swimming pool filter sand bought from Ace Hardware ("white sand")

Feb 10: Attached the power extension cord to the wall socket, extended it to location that I'll keep my tank, and used the concealer to hide the cord from view. It looks great!
Placed the two pieces of driftwood in the large plastic storage box (that I already placed in my bathtub) and filled it up with the hottest water setting on my bathtub faucet. Also added a jug full of boiling water. The water turned light brown quickly. Guess this is the dreaded tannis leaching! I also put boiling water on the dragon stone and washed it thoroughly. I used a new toothbrush (never used) to scrub the dragon stone clean.

Feb 11: Water change for the driftwood. Still leaching tannis. Also, even though the wood is screwed to a piece of slate, its still floating. So I've had to keep the dragon stone on it to keep it submerged.

Feb 12-19: Daily water change for driftwood. Still leaching tannis although the water is now turning brown more slowly with each passing day. Good sign. Wood is still floating though, so I am still keeping it submerged by the dragon stone.

Feb 17: Quite a project to set up the 2217 filter and to hook up the Hydor inline heater to it. I've hooked it up to the "out" line of the filter to ensure that clear water gets into the heater. Also, to keep the heater vertical was not easy. I've had to place the heater outside my stand, behind the tank so it can stay vertical. Another "fun" project was connecting the 1/2 inch output of the 2217 to the 5/8 inch input of the Hydor. Couple trips to Home Depot later, they were all connected and setup. I also added 2 digital thermometers. At opposite corners of the back wall of the aquarium. No water in the tank just yet because I am waiting for:
1. The driftwood to get water logged and sink so I can aquascape it as I desire.
2. The plants in my 20G tank will move here. The plants only got planted there on 2/15 … I'll given them at least until the end of Feb to stabilize in their new environment before moving them to the 90G tank.

While I wait for the above, is there anything I should be doing that might hurry up the cycling of this 90G tank once its set up?

More to come … I'll update you all as often as I can and will throw in any questions here as well. Looking forward to your feedback.

You could use bb in a bottle. The only thing I recommend is Dr. Tim's One and Only. I have never seen it fail. That said it is super expensive. But it will do the job and fast. Make sure your plants are tough and fast growing as your goldies will eat them in no time they love plants!

Back
Top Bottom