Slate in an aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fisharefishy99

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, I have some slate I wanted to put into my fish tank but I heard it may leach iron since I think this type of slate can rust. Is this a bad thing? I heard iron was good for plants and I have a few but I don't know about fish. Is there any way I can check if it's bad? Also this type of slate "sparkles" almost which I think means it is metallic. Thank you for reading this post in advanced.

take a magnet to it?

Lead is the bad stuff, Iron I dont think matters too much unless its like a huge OD of it.

Think about it, ships are made of iron, alot of them have sunk and sustain life not destroy it.

Soak it for a week or two or three in a 5g bucket.

I took a magnet to it and I don't think that there was any attraction at all. And if there was it was very very very faint. Is there anything else I can do? Or should it be safe?

I did the vinegar test in like 1/2 an inch of vinegar and it was only the base of the rock in the container. And nothing happened, no fizzing and it has been sitting for about 5 minutes. Does that mean it's safe?

I decided to pour the vinegar all over the rock and nothing happened either, it all ran off of course but at least there was no fizzing lol

I took a sledge hammer to the rock and broke a few small pieces off and did the vinegar test and nothing happened. Should that mean it passes that test?

I took a sledge hammer to the rock and broke a few small pieces off and did the vinegar test and nothing happened. Should that mean it passes that test?
I would think so and way to improvise you sound like a man after my own heart when in doubt grab the biggest damed hammer you find lol.:uzi:

Back
Top Bottom