sleepy mystery snail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shayfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have read a bit about how from time to time mystery snails will spend a long time in one place sort of "hibernating". I am wondering how long is too long for a snail to be doing this? Mine hasn't really moved in over a week (maybe close to 2 weeks) but i am quite sure it isn't dead. I am a little concerned about this behaviour. Water params are good, pwcs regular and everyone else in the tank seems to be happy and healthy. Ideas?

Why are you sure he is not dead?

Pick him up and look at his trap door. Is it open at all? If it is and you touch it does it retract and seal up tighter? What does it smell like? Yes I asked you to smell it :)

He smells fine. That's why I'm pretty sure he's not dead. His trap door has also been both completely closed and partially closed (little bit of snail hanging out) during this time.

Snails are very susceptible to tank contaminants. My 20 snails are always out and about, unless I miss a PWC in which case they get pretty "sluggish" (pun fully intended). Do a 50% PWC and see what happens. If he doesn't "wake up" take him out of the tank and put him in a shallow dish with a little cool (not cold) water. Sometimes they swell for little apparent reason and the cool water seems to help that.

I have done 2 50%s in the just over a week since I got a couple of new fish I like to have pwc'd right before I buy fish. So much so that I was a little concerned my nitrate level actually got too low. I will try putting him in some cooler water and report back. Thanks for the tip.

Back
Top Bottom