Slight Murky Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lcars

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi everyone, for the past few days I have noticed that my normally clear water in my 29 gallon tropical tank has had a murky tint to it. I am running a Penguin 200 Bio Wheel on it. I have three suspicions as to what it is:
1. I had to stir up the substrate because I accidentaly dropped in to many shrimp pellets then usual and it released alot of debris but it was still a little murky before then
2. I have been feeding mainly freeze-dried blood shrimp and tubifex worms to my 3 gobies but I'm not sure because they definetly gobble down most of them
3. I just got a new light with a greenish bright bulb, so maybe its just a new light, but it was pretty clear when I first got it.

So what do you guys think it is?

It could be a number of things when is the last time you did a pwc? Have you checked your filtration to make sure it doesn't have any gunk build up? Is the water flowing freely from it. Or it could also be are favorite friend Mr. Algae lol! I have glass tops on my tank so I have to clean the underside of the glass regularly or it gets a greenish slime on it from good ole Mr. Algae which will give the water a slight green cast to it!

Oh and also it could possibly be your substrate IMO I don't know what kind you have but if you have gravel maybe vacuum it btw my tank has never been clearer since I switched over to pfs, it doesn't get that nasty slime that gravel and rock can get. Or it could possibly be too much food , but then you did say they eat most of that.

Have you checked your filtration to make sure it doesn't have any gunk build up? Is the water flowing freely from it.

This is usually the cause of my murky tanks. Disturbing substrate will cause cloudiness, but will usually go away within hours. When my water starts to cloud, it's usually caused by my 'gunk' in my filter causing backup and then bypass. Also, if it's a newer tank, cloudy water caused by bacterial blooms is a common occurrence and will pass in time.

It's also usually prudent to reduce feeding when you have cloudy water until you figure out what's causing it.

I did a 25% water change a week ago. And of the two filter cartridges was really thick, so I tried to clean it, but it just was so bad I had to replace it. And Mr. Algae strikes again! I looked at my glass top and it was filled with it. I scraped it all off and the water looks alot better, but still a little murky so I'll do a 50% water change for good measure :)

Back
Top Bottom