Slighty odd please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How was the tank cycled?

Has your test kit expired?

Are you shaking the proverbial out of the nitrAte test droppers?

You need to shake bottle #2 for 30 sec before adding the drops & then shake the vial HARD for 1 min, wait 5 min & read.

If in doubt, shake the crap out of all of them. S'cuse my language.

I've found that my ammonia results really depend on light and angle, sometimes dead yellow, others the faintest whiff of green ... Not even a .25. I'd cautiously say that as long as its only a tiny tinge, it might be residue left over from the last test or something. Remember to properly wash out your test tubes thoroughly not just a quick rinse. See if that helps...?

Warm soapy water. Not every time, just as frequently as you see fit. :)

Check under and around plants, decorations, and rocks for left over food and stuff. I was having the same problem. Despite frequent water changes my ammonia wouldn't stay below .25. I took everything out of my tank to clean and found tons of gunk stuck under rocks and shells and far corners of tank. After cleaning it all out and stopping over feeding, my ammonia has stayed at 0.

A very slight ammo reading(just barely above 0 but not quite .25 is not that unusual. It means some ammonia is being produced that feeds the nitrogen cycle. If you have absolutely 0 ammo your BB would not live. Some times of the year your tap water may have trace amounts in it to start with also. OS.

Thanks OS I have messaged you about my other post called gourami would u take a look at a picture of it and see if you can sex it :)

Back
Top Bottom