Slime on filer sponge/foam

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Remove the sponge and squeeze it out in a bucket of old tank water. Be sure to remove all the slime before putting it back in the filter.

Green slime--not just normal slimy debris? Can you post a photo? What type of filter is it? Filter foam does get mucked up normally--just squeeze the foam several times (in a bucket of your tank water when you do a water change) to remove lots of it. It doesn't have to be pristine--if fact, it shouldn't be too clean. I'm guessing this is what you are experiencing and it is totally normal.

If it is really, really slimy to the touch, there may be something else going on. Is this the tank you've had your bad luck with? If so, a massive die-off of beneficial bacteria will cause a clear slime to develop. A photo will help.

Just rinse it out when you get home (in tank water). Give us an update on this tank, too. I am so hoping that it has stabilized and you haven't lost any more fish. Good luck!

The tank is doing well. I gave the eel that was eating the neons to my LFS. Most of my ich has gone. I added some super ich capsules to the tank but only half dose due to my snails, catfish etc. only my 3 silver dollars have it so I think I will buy a small tank tomorrow to treat them by themselves. Would that tank need to be cycled? They will only be in there for 3 days

Back
Top Bottom