slime on water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

peaceablegarden

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a bucket I collect filtered water in to use for pwcs (I use a Berkey gravity fed water filter). Occasionally if I leave the water to sit for more than a couple/few days, the water develops a whitish slime on the top. I thought I read somewhere that this is harmless and that there is someway to remove it.

I had this for awhile in my 5gal tank, and it went away. My suspicion was it was some kind of organic material, or bacterial slime from the driftwood. I asked on here without any ID, and also took photos to my fairly reputable LFS. He said he has seen it before, doesn't know what it is, and usually goes away after awhile. Well he was right -- it did clear in my tank after a few weeks. However, not sure how this applies to your situation. No idea on a source if there is nothing organic involved. Are you using well water? Maybe try sterilizing the bucket with some mild bleach solution (rinse and dechlor after!) and then cover the bucket when you leave water in it?

Using filtered city water. That's why I save it. Can only get a gallon or two a day. Bucket's clean/sanitized/allowed to completely dry. Tried that. Don't need dechlor, the water filter takes care of that. Don't cover it. Could try that. Not convinced it will work, but worth a try.

Back
Top Bottom