Slowing down outflow of aqueon 55/75

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chronos313

Aquarium Advice Addict
Kay so right now I have an aqueon 55/75 on my 55 gallon long, I like the filter but the outflow seems to be overly strong and is creating bare pockets in my PFS substrate. I don't have an air pump yet as my finances are tied up into my newborn baby boy so I'm wondering if I could take some aquaclear filter sponge and insert it into the intake tube temporarily to see if that helps the issue. Has anyone had to do this before? I do want to get two aquaclear 110's but I have to be a good boy for awhile lol. Thanks for any help.

Well I would suggest either getting more sand to have a thicker layer or where it is making a pocket put something hard there like a rock or a big piece of driftwood. I think a large thin circular rock would do the trick.

I have 2 of these filters. First, make sure your water level is as high as possible. This lessens the outflow. Second, if increasing the water level is not sufficient, get some filter foam/sponge & tie it on the bottom of the intake tube/cut a hole in it & slide over the bottom intake tube. The more foam that covers the bottom of the intake, the less the outflow will be. Hope this helps! :)

You can also create a barrier in front of the outflow with a plastic bottle. Cut the ends off and cut down the middle. Then tape one side to the top and tuck one side underneath.

You can also cut/drill holes to make a makeshift spray bar.

Or you can cut the bottom diagonal to push water to one side.

This will cut out your gas exchange though so you will want an air pump if your tank is not planted

Back
Top Bottom