Small Betta Tank Filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LayzorBeams

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I did a thread like a month ago about how I'm going to get a few male Bettas in their own 2.5, but my dilemma: how do i filter them all? I have to reduce the amount i get, so i can only do 2-3 when i was originally planning to do 4-6. At least, i cant do more than three for now.

Would it work to get a filter for a 3-5 gallon tank, and use airline tubing for those bubbler things (i know they are called air pumps but i love bubble!) and have a constant siphon tanking water back and forth from tank to tank?

So basically, the middle tank has a low-current filter. The other 2 tanks are on either side of it. I use a small section of airline tubing and creat a siphon that forces water from a non-filtered tank to the filtered one. Then i use another siphon to suck water back from the filtered tank into the non filtered one. So no water is lost but the both get the benefit of the BB in the filtered tank?

Repeat for each additional tank.

Would tank work? Or too much current in the filtered tank for the Betta in there?

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

My biggest suggestion is still having a lot of plants, including floating plants.

Filtered, you're going to have to do a lot of water changes for a 2.5. 2.5 won't hold much water. I had a 3 and it only held 2.25 gallons of water.

If you have some experience you might be able to manage an unfiltered betta 2.5 with plants (I did). Still think it's too small tho.

If you connect the tanks somehow you'll need one filter that can handle an 8 gallon load, which is going to generate a lot of current.

What's your total budget?

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Well thats why im looking into this option. My budget fell. I ended up having to use a LOT of money to do other things. Im left with ~$$75

Thats like a third of what i originally was going to be able to use for this ?

Also, i have about no experience with plants. On a scale of 1-10, i would get about a -4.

So for me, filtered is the way to go. I can add some Java or Anubias but wont rely on it to do any work for me.

I can get a large filter for a 10 gal cheap enough if i need to.

He's a big air pump and use a 4-port gateway valve and use sponge filters. You can cycle them o you main tank. Sponge filters cost a couple bucks on Amazon. You can also use valves to adjust the output of the sponges.

Caleb

I'm just curious if you are going with 2.5's to save space. I can't see setting up a 2.5 gallon costing any less than setting up a 5 or 10. I would go with a small sponge filter either way. A HOB filter will create too much current in my opinion.

Its partially the space but more so the fact that i want to keep solitary male Bettas, and while more space is good, 2.5 gallons should be sufficient space. Its also cheaper to do 3 2.5s and accessories versus 3 10s and everything to go with them.

Back
Top Bottom