Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-31-2015, 09:30 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Small fish for a small tank?

I've been doing some tank reorganizing this weekend, the red rili are now in the planted 4g. Someone gave me the idea of adding a scarlet badis which I'm considering. Is there anything else I could keep singly or in a pair that wouldn't eat the adult shrimp? Any small killifish maybe? (since I got the furcatas today I'm feeling adventurous lol)

Old 01-31-2015, 11:33 PM   #2

The furcatus aren't going in this tank correct?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 02-01-2015, 03:41 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheresaM View Post
I've been doing some tank reorganizing this weekend, the red rili are now in the planted 4g. Someone gave me the idea of adding a scarlet badis which I'm considering. Is there anything else I could keep singly or in a pair that wouldn't eat the adult shrimp? Any small killifish maybe? (since I got the furcatas today I'm feeling adventurous lol)

I regret adding fish to my Shrimp tank. I never see my babies out. My numbers plummeted. I went from 100 RCS to a stable population of about 30. I see adults and a few juveniles.
No Shrimplets

Scarlet Badis are cool, but I lost a few over time. Some never thrived.
One ate pellets and flakes. Others only ate frozen or live.

Granted I also have CPDs and Corys.

So a single SB might not do as much damage.

I just miss my tiny babies.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422780106.070770.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	256.8 KB
ID:	262952

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Coursair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 10:13 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillie View Post
The furcatus aren't going in this tank correct?
Oh no, sorry for the confusion. They're in my 16g, this tank currently has only the shrimp.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:15 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coursair View Post
I regret adding fish to my Shrimp tank. I never see my babies out. My numbers plummeted. I went from 100 RCS to a stable population of about 30. I see adults and a few juveniles.
No Shrimplets

Scarlet Badis are cool, but I lost a few over time. Some never thrived.
One ate pellets and flakes. Others only ate frozen or live.

Granted I also have CPDs and Corys.

So a single SB might not do as much damage.

I just miss my tiny babies.

I like the badis but the feeding issue concerns me, especially since I'd be buying online. I've also read that they hide a lot.

Not sure what to do...
Old 02-01-2015, 09:27 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I also considered a badis, until I read they are super picky, and many will only eat live. If you're like me, you won't be happy with a fish that hides all the time. I like fish that are brave, and curious, and will come to the glass to see me. Fish that don't flip out if I put my hand in, or change the water. Sounds like you need something like a Peacock Gudgeon. Very calm and friendly, like a female betta. Oh, and I had loads of RCS too, probably a hundred or more, and my male betta lived fine with them, left them alone. But after he died of old age, I added other fish, and before I knew it, every last RCS was gone! I also miss mine.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:30 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaecho View Post
I also considered a badis, until I read they are super picky, and many will only eat live. If you're like me, you won't be happy with a fish that hides all the time. I like fish that are brave, and curious, and will come to the glass to see me. Fish that don't flip out if I put my hand in, or change the water. Sounds like you need something like a Peacock Gudgeon. Very calm and friendly, like a female betta. Oh, and I had loads of RCS too, probably a hundred or more, and my male betta lived fine with them, left them alone. But after he died of old age, I added other fish, and before I knew it, every last RCS was gone! I also miss mine.
The hiding concerned me with the badis. Love the peacocks but was told they are definitely a no with any shrimp
Old 02-01-2015, 11:18 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

My SB did come out. Very slow, stalking around the tank. It's counterintuitive but the thicker the plants and the more hiding places you give them the more the shy fish will come out.

My CPDs come out all the time. My friend's hide constantly.

I have a black background and more plants.

Plus my tank is in a quiet corner.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Coursair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 01:42 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

You're right--forgot about that, Theresa. The Peacock Gudgeons would almost certainly eat your shrimp.
Old 02-02-2015, 03:10 AM   #10
come get me tang police!

I agree, your options are quite limited. I keep BN plecos and otos successfully with shrimp, but that's about it. Least killies seem to do fairly well with them also, but aren't the most attractive things ever, and probably still eat some of the newborn shrimp.

Tags
fish, small, small tank, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com