Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 01-31-2015, 09:30 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,175
Small fish for a small tank?

I've been doing some tank reorganizing this weekend, the red rili are now in the planted 4g. Someone gave me the idea of adding a scarlet badis which I'm considering. Is there anything else I could keep singly or in a pair that wouldn't eat the adult shrimp? Any small killifish maybe? (since I got the furcatas today I'm feeling adventurous lol)
__________________

__________________
TheresaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 11:33 PM   #2
member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Sterling Heights, Michigan
Posts: 4,219
The furcatus aren't going in this tank correct?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________

__________________
Gillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 03:41 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Coursair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: San Francisco East Bay Area CA
Posts: 7,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheresaM View Post
I've been doing some tank reorganizing this weekend, the red rili are now in the planted 4g. Someone gave me the idea of adding a scarlet badis which I'm considering. Is there anything else I could keep singly or in a pair that wouldn't eat the adult shrimp? Any small killifish maybe? (since I got the furcatas today I'm feeling adventurous lol)

I regret adding fish to my Shrimp tank. I never see my babies out. My numbers plummeted. I went from 100 RCS to a stable population of about 30. I see adults and a few juveniles.
No Shrimplets

Scarlet Badis are cool, but I lost a few over time. Some never thrived.
One ate pellets and flakes. Others only ate frozen or live.

Granted I also have CPDs and Corys.

So a single SB might not do as much damage.

I just miss my tiny babies.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422780106.070770.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	256.8 KB
ID:	262952


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
My 10g Shrimp Jungle My 10g Rimless My 5.5g CRS Tank They are a work in progress
Vid of my Shrimp Jungle
~ Tina
Coursair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 10:13 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillie View Post
The furcatus aren't going in this tank correct?
Oh no, sorry for the confusion. They're in my 16g, this tank currently has only the shrimp.
__________________
TheresaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 10:15 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coursair View Post
I regret adding fish to my Shrimp tank. I never see my babies out. My numbers plummeted. I went from 100 RCS to a stable population of about 30. I see adults and a few juveniles.
No Shrimplets

Scarlet Badis are cool, but I lost a few over time. Some never thrived.
One ate pellets and flakes. Others only ate frozen or live.

Granted I also have CPDs and Corys.

So a single SB might not do as much damage.

I just miss my tiny babies.


I like the badis but the feeding issue concerns me, especially since I'd be buying online. I've also read that they hide a lot.

Not sure what to do...
__________________
TheresaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 09:27 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: High Desert, S. California
Posts: 1,418
I also considered a badis, until I read they are super picky, and many will only eat live. If you're like me, you won't be happy with a fish that hides all the time. I like fish that are brave, and curious, and will come to the glass to see me. Fish that don't flip out if I put my hand in, or change the water. Sounds like you need something like a Peacock Gudgeon. Very calm and friendly, like a female betta. Oh, and I had loads of RCS too, probably a hundred or more, and my male betta lived fine with them, left them alone. But after he died of old age, I added other fish, and before I knew it, every last RCS was gone! I also miss mine.
__________________
RackinRocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 09:30 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaecho View Post
I also considered a badis, until I read they are super picky, and many will only eat live. If you're like me, you won't be happy with a fish that hides all the time. I like fish that are brave, and curious, and will come to the glass to see me. Fish that don't flip out if I put my hand in, or change the water. Sounds like you need something like a Peacock Gudgeon. Very calm and friendly, like a female betta. Oh, and I had loads of RCS too, probably a hundred or more, and my male betta lived fine with them, left them alone. But after he died of old age, I added other fish, and before I knew it, every last RCS was gone! I also miss mine.
The hiding concerned me with the badis. Love the peacocks but was told they are definitely a no with any shrimp
__________________
TheresaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 11:18 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Coursair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: San Francisco East Bay Area CA
Posts: 7,922
My SB did come out. Very slow, stalking around the tank. It's counterintuitive but the thicker the plants and the more hiding places you give them the more the shy fish will come out.

My CPDs come out all the time. My friend's hide constantly.

I have a black background and more plants.

Plus my tank is in a quiet corner.


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
My 10g Shrimp Jungle My 10g Rimless My 5.5g CRS Tank They are a work in progress
Vid of my Shrimp Jungle
~ Tina
Coursair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 01:42 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: High Desert, S. California
Posts: 1,418
You're right--forgot about that, Theresa. The Peacock Gudgeons would almost certainly eat your shrimp.
__________________
RackinRocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 03:10 AM   #10
come get me tang police!
 
jetajockey's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: In a swamp near you /Pensacola, FL
Posts: 12,047
I agree, your options are quite limited. I keep BN plecos and otos successfully with shrimp, but that's about it. Least killies seem to do fairly well with them also, but aren't the most attractive things ever, and probably still eat some of the newborn shrimp.
__________________

__________________
Dont Forget to Join my FREE weekly Plant Giveaway.
Click Here!
jetajockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fish, small, small tank, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Small tank small fish? Komodo Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 10 12-05-2014 05:39 PM
How small is too small for eel tank mates? Nuclear Queen Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 1 11-18-2013 03:53 PM
Is there a type of seahorse that is small, But not as small as the dwarf seahorse? Dylan5359 Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR 1 02-07-2011 05:55 PM
Small fish, small aquarium? euro_Boy_To Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 17 05-14-2006 12:50 AM
Small Yellow Tang and Small Regal 8965 Saltwater Reef Aquaria 11 12-29-2004 01:46 PM







» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.