Small fish for a small tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheresaM

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've been doing some tank reorganizing this weekend, the red rili are now in the planted 4g. Someone gave me the idea of adding a scarlet badis which I'm considering. Is there anything else I could keep singly or in a pair that wouldn't eat the adult shrimp? Any small killifish maybe? (since I got the furcatas today I'm feeling adventurous lol)

I've been doing some tank reorganizing this weekend, the red rili are now in the planted 4g. Someone gave me the idea of adding a scarlet badis which I'm considering. Is there anything else I could keep singly or in a pair that wouldn't eat the adult shrimp? Any small killifish maybe? (since I got the furcatas today I'm feeling adventurous lol)

I regret adding fish to my Shrimp tank. I never see my babies out. My numbers plummeted. I went from 100 RCS to a stable population of about 30. I see adults and a few juveniles.
No Shrimplets :(

Scarlet Badis are cool, but I lost a few over time. Some never thrived.
One ate pellets and flakes. Others only ate frozen or live.

Granted I also have CPDs and Corys.

So a single SB might not do as much damage.

I just miss my tiny babies.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422780106.070770.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I regret adding fish to my Shrimp tank. I never see my babies out. My numbers plummeted. I went from 100 RCS to a stable population of about 30. I see adults and a few juveniles.
No Shrimplets :(

Scarlet Badis are cool, but I lost a few over time. Some never thrived.
One ate pellets and flakes. Others only ate frozen or live.

Granted I also have CPDs and Corys.

So a single SB might not do as much damage.

I just miss my tiny babies.

I like the badis but the feeding issue concerns me, especially since I'd be buying online. I've also read that they hide a lot.

Not sure what to do...

I also considered a badis, until I read they are super picky, and many will only eat live. If you're like me, you won't be happy with a fish that hides all the time. I like fish that are brave, and curious, and will come to the glass to see me. Fish that don't flip out if I put my hand in, or change the water. Sounds like you need something like a Peacock Gudgeon. Very calm and friendly, like a female betta. Oh, and I had loads of RCS too, probably a hundred or more, and my male betta lived fine with them, left them alone. But after he died of old age, I added other fish, and before I knew it, every last RCS was gone! I also miss mine.

I also considered a badis, until I read they are super picky, and many will only eat live. If you're like me, you won't be happy with a fish that hides all the time. I like fish that are brave, and curious, and will come to the glass to see me. Fish that don't flip out if I put my hand in, or change the water. Sounds like you need something like a Peacock Gudgeon. Very calm and friendly, like a female betta. Oh, and I had loads of RCS too, probably a hundred or more, and my male betta lived fine with them, left them alone. But after he died of old age, I added other fish, and before I knew it, every last RCS was gone! I also miss mine.

The hiding concerned me with the badis. Love the peacocks but was told they are definitely a no with any shrimp :(

My SB did come out. Very slow, stalking around the tank. It's counterintuitive but the thicker the plants and the more hiding places you give them the more the shy fish will come out.

My CPDs come out all the time. My friend's hide constantly.

I have a black background and more plants.

Plus my tank is in a quiet corner.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I agree, your options are quite limited. I keep BN plecos and otos successfully with shrimp, but that's about it. Least killies seem to do fairly well with them also, but aren't the most attractive things ever, and probably still eat some of the newborn shrimp.

Back
Top Bottom