Small jumping orange insect

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arical

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
It appears my tank has some new inhabitants. When I was doing a water change I noticed a tiny dot jump across the water a few times. After some close inspection I found this little guy

P1000721-1.JPG

It looks a bit like the springtail from What is that bug in my Aquarium? .:. Various small creatures that can inhabit a Freshwater Invertebrate Aquarium but I don't know, which is why Im asking :p

Can anyone identify it? I am wondering if I need to take any action. Thanks in advance!

You're not going to get much more than "a bug" out of that picture I think. It could be a springtail. From the picture it looks like an aphid, but they don't jump in any way. I wouldn't worry about it. Hopefully it will reproduce. Fish will eat them given the opportunity, so the more the merrier. I'd be surprised if an infestation of anything could get so out of hand as to damage your plants given the density to which we typically stock an aquarium with fish, so I'd say no action is required. Bugs are neat to watch though.

Back
Top Bottom