Small/nano schooling fish suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

_skyla_

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ive decided I'm going to add another small school of fish prehaps nanos of some sort. I'd like to add 8. I'll also be getting 2 more neon tetras to up them to 8 as well. I've been doing some research on chili rasbora and ember tetras as I want something quite small and light on the bioload(and arent going to eat my cherry shrimp). Will these fish get freaked out by my platies and or bn plecos? Couldn't seem to find a straight answer on google haha. If you know of some bright little fish that will do great in my setup I'd love to know? Preferably no bigger than the neons. im going to the fish store tomorrow so would love some advice before i go saves me going back again?

its a 70 litre planted tank( aqadvisor said it was a 22.5gallon when i put in my tank dimension but only 17.5gallons on.an online unit convertor ?) with 2 bn plecs, 6 neon tetras, 2 female platies and 8 cherry shrimp two with eggs.

Think ya might be over stocked with ya plecs as they are messy guys and grow quite big :( but I may be wrong, someone else should be able to confirm this or dismiss it

yeah i know but they are just babies only about 3cms atm.and as i stated in a previouse thead they will be getting a bigger home in about 5 months when they need it :)

Fair play :p in that case most tetras are good as are danios, and about your cherry shrimp the rule of thumb is if a fish can fit it in there mouth they will try and eat it :D

You can get scarlet badis bout only two of them theyre pretty cool and if u want algae eaters ti replace your plecos when u move them get some gobies

ive been lucky so far all 8 shrimp havnt been bothered at all by my platies or tetras so im hoping itll continue this way. whats some fish about neon tetras size that would work or smaller as long as they wont feel stressed n threatened by the platies n bn.

hellaasian said:
You can get scarlet badis bout only two of them theyre pretty cool and if u want algae eaters ti replace your plecos when u move them get some gobies

they are very pretty but i have my heart set on a small school :) oh n what kind of goby?

I don't recommend plecostamus for a 20 gallon

Stick with small community fish

_skyla_ said:
they are very pretty but i have my heart set on a small school :) oh n what kind of goby?

the more i look at them and read im thinking scarlet badis might be a good choice depending on my red cherry shrimp would they leave the adults alone?

_skyla_ said:
the more i look at them and read im thinking scarlet badis might be a good choice depending on my red cherry shrimp would they leave the adults alone?

Brittle nose plecos only get to be 4 inches

Look up blue colbalt goby theyre algae eaters and dont get that big only 3inches

They don't pick on the adults, but since I added mine I've noticed I don't have as many babies as I used to and some fat Badis.
Also check out Celestial Pearl Danios.

They don't pick on the adults, but since I added mine I've noticed I don't have as many babies as I used to and some fat Badis.
haha well thats expected most fish will eat the poor little bubbas. My 2 shrimp ladies are full of eggs so awaiting there arrival and hoping some will survive as i only have 8 cherrys atm and this would be the first batches of shrimplets :) I ended up getting a group of 6 hengels rasbora and they are very cute and active little things and like to form a tight shoal and do little group cirles and all sorts very fun to watch.

Look up blue colbalt goby theyre algae eaters and dont get that big only 3inches
wow they are really pretty little algae eating gobies and would be perfect about from they prefer more of a current than the others in my tank well so ive read but i dont really know from experience, ive never seen them before.

jefferzbooboo said:

Omg I went to the fish store this arvo and they had celestial pearl danios, I've never seen them at the stores, they were so pretty $15 each though! They said there really hard to get in here or something. I wanted them haha

Omg I went to the fish store this arvo and they had celestial pearl danios, I've never seen them at the stores, they were so pretty $15 each though! They said there really hard to get in here or something. I wanted them haha

Check out Aquabid.com. With shipping I just got some for about $5.50 a piece and that's with shipping worked into the price. I've ordered plenty of things from Aquabid.

Back
Top Bottom