Small pleco for 10gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shaunakadub

Aquarium Advice Activist
I absolutly love plecos! BUT, I only have a 10 gallon. I belive it was AshleyNicole who said I could possibly get a bristlenose pleco for the 10gallon?

If not a bristlenose, is there any other type of pleco that would be ok in a 10gallon tank? I'm very strict about cleaning, so I don't think a plecos waste would be a problem for me to handle, but I want to make sure that he isn't going to be stressed out in the 10gallon.

Bristlenose Plecos generally stay pretty small (max out at 5 inches or so), so you would probably be ok. They would probably do best in a 29 gal or larger, but a 10 gal could be a short term fit and then you may want to upgrade down the road. I would say give it a shot and see how it goes. Good luck.

Yeah, should be an alright add. I believe the chocolate albino pleco's don't really grow to large lengths, but I may be thinking of someone else.

DeathWarp said:
I believe the chocolate albino pleco's don't really grow to large lengths
They are the same species as the commons and get to the same length, AFAIK.

Clown plecos stay small. They only get 4 or 5 inches and they are a lot of fun to watch :)

4-5" is still too large for a 10gallon. a 10gal could house a juvie, small species pleco for a year or so, but eventually you'll need a bigger tank. and nearly all of the small species plecos cost a fair amount of money.

i have my bristlenose in my 10 gallon temporarily and when he gets to big he will go into my 55 gallon.

You might want to also try a few Hong kong pleco's or as there also called Butterfly loaches, they're cute little things and really fast. If you get a group of them they are alot happier and spend more time out in the light etc.

butterfly as in hillstream loaches??? they are actually coldwater loaches

Back
Top Bottom