Small plecos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TigerBarbs

Aquarium Advice Addict
What are some small species of plecos thatd be okay in a 29gal tank to control algae. I don't want a really expensive one. Just a colorful one. Also will it be compatable with tiger barbs and a rainbow shark and a Senegal bichir

bristle-nose, rubber-lip, clown pleco just to name a few.

I like my bristle nose. He grew fast and deals with aggression from my mbunas very well

Honestly I have 3 plecos ( no they're not in the same tank) and when it comes to algae my feather fin catfish does the best other people on here so ottos do a good job!

TigerBarbs said:
What are some small species of plecos thatd be okay in a 29gal tank to control algae. I don't want a really expensive one. Just a colorful one. Also will it be compatable with tiger barbs and a rainbow shark and a Senegal bichir

And btw my feather fin is in with mostly cichlids and he can take care of himself when it comes to agressive fish!

But if you want to stick with plecos then probably the bristle nose would probably get rid of the most algae, and not get as big as some of the other varieties of pleco like the common.

I also have synodontis petricola catfish that do an awesome job at cleaning up and are very cool looking imo. They are also know for being tolerant of aggression. Mine are in w mbuna much bigger than them and they just shrug the Cichlids off.

Second the petricolas, mine are do great. Constantly on the hunt for food and they can smell when your feeding and go crazy. Don't know how they do with algae though.

kdpuffer said:
Second the petricolas, mine are do great. Constantly on the hunt for food and they can smell when your feeding and go crazy. Don't know how they do with algae though.

I don't have much of an algae problem but my petricolas love algae wafers. Also the position of their mouth make it convenient to eat algae but idk. Lol

Bristlenose pleco's are the best choice for cleaning up algae and diatoms in a 29. If you want colorful look at the albino, calico, or super red varieties.
Otocinclus aren't particularly hardy fish, and really do best long-term in a larger planted tank from what I've gathered.
Synodontis catfish are great, but not suitable for a 29. The featherfins grow too large and the petricola's are social fish, best kept in groups of 5 or more.

I have 2 Albino Bristlenose plecos and I love them! They keep my tank very clean and look gorgeous.

There are also pitbull plecos but they like to be in groups of atleast 3.

toddnbecka said:
Bristlenose pleco's are the best choice for cleaning up algae and diatoms in a 29. If you want colorful look at the albino, calico, or super red varieties.
Otocinclus aren't particularly hardy fish, and really do best long-term in a larger planted tank from what I've gathered.
Synodontis catfish are great, but not suitable for a 29. The featherfins grow too large and the petricola's are social fish, best kept in groups of 5 or more.

IME I have both bristle nose pleco and feather fin, they usually get up to about the same size 6-8 inches depending on if their male or female, however both mine are about 5-6 inches, but the bn is probably the better algae eater.

as others have said,a bn would work. your rainbow shark needs an upgrade to at least a 55 gallon ASAP

I'm tryin to figure out what to do with him cause I can't upgrade to a 55 yet

Albino bristlenose are smaller than regular BN. I have an L-144 blue eyed ancistrus and it only gets about 4.5-5 inches. I have to say that she isn't the best algae eater though.
Don't forget the driftwood :)

Back
Top Bottom