Small Schooling Fish for Hard Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sorg67

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have five tanks. Guppies, Corydoras, Betta, pest snails, assassin snails and plants.

Guppies thrive. Betta is doing well now but not as much in the beginning. Five of the eight Corydoras I started with died.

Tanks are cycled. Zero ammonia and nitrites. Weekly water changes with light vacuuming. Nitrates kept below 10 ppm.

My tap water is about PH 8.0 to 8.2, KH and GH are both about 8 degrees. I think that is about 140 ppm. I have not checked TDS. I plan to get a meter.

Guppies like hard water. Betta and Corydoras not so much. I have been told not to worry about my hard, alkaline water. I have been told that fish will adjust as long as it is stable. But I would prefer to find fish that will thrive in my water like my Guppies do.

I have a 10 gallon tank that currently has a large female and a bunch of her young. I am considering returning them to the community and restocking the 10 gallon with a school of small fish that will thrive in hard water.

I would like small tetras or rasboras but they seem to prefer soft acidic water.

I am looking for suggestions.

Not necessarily. Some, like the big box stores, user RO water in their tanks.

So does that mean you need ten for your tank?

What do you mean by that? I am hoping that most will survive. I want to have a school about that size.

They will be the sole occupants of a 29 gallon tank for now. Other than some snails. The tank is currently occupied by about 20 small wild type / feeder guppies. The guppies will be moved to another tank.

I may add other fish. Perhaps two or three gourami and / or some bottom feeders. Maybe a BN Pleco.

Back
Top Bottom