Small stocking suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aqua315

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello! My tank has been getting older and unfortunately I've lost some of my older fish that I'd had for several years. Since I got them all at around the same time, they seem to be going at the same time as well :(. I'm starting to look into getting some new stock while taking into account the fish I still have in the tank. Currently I have a 28g bowfront that is stocked with:
6 neon tetras
3 albino cherry barbs
2 gold barbs
1 german blue ram

I know I don't have room for a whole lot more but I do have some extra room. I'm looking for something a bit different. I don't want any livebearers like guppies mollies or platties because I've had way too many babies in previous tanks with those.

I'm hoping to find one more german blue ram so my remaining ram isn't too lonely. Other than that I'm open to any suggestions. I was thinking about trying some inverts since I've never had them before but I don't know if they'll be okay with my stock. My lfs has very good stock but they seem to not want to give me suggestions as soon as I tell them I have two very large gold barbs (pushing 3") even though I tell them they're not aggressive. I think they're afraid if they tell me something will be fine and it isn't, they'll get in trouble or something.

Sorry this ended up being so long but like I said, any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

Well, aside from Bamboo, Amano, or perhaps even Ghost Shrimp, I personally wouldn't try Shrimp. The Barbs and Ram could easily pick off any of the smaller Shrimp like Red Cherry. There are some nice snails out there like Horned Nerite Snails or Assassin Snails (if you ever had problems with pest snails, he is your guy :))

Have you tried any bottom feeding fish before? Corydoras or the likes? Or if the top of the tank is feeling empty, you could look into Hatchetfish? That is assuming you don't have a very strong current from your filter.

Back
Top Bottom