Small tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maddymoo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Is there anything that can be kept in a 2g tank? Something that stays small?

I'd do wither a planted shrimp tank or one betta in it, nothing else

emerald76 said:
I'd do wither a planted shrimp tank or one betta in it, nothing else

Yes u would agree. Maybe a snail though or just planted tank.

markiezzi said:
neon tetras or glofish can be kept in the tank. A Betta is also good too.

I wouldn't recommend glo-fish since they are very active but I don't know about neon tetras.

markiezzi said:
neon tetras or glofish can be kept in the tank. A Betta is also good too.

No neons or glo fish they're way too active and need groups of six or more

shrimp or snails. IMO,no fish belong in 2 gallons except for fry(and not for long)

No bettas.

No glofish.

No neons.

That would be cruel. No fish should be kept in a 2 gallon tank. I would recommend a snail or a small amount of something like red cherry shrimp.

Just because a fish might be small, like a neon, does not mean that it does not need room. Also, keep in mind that tetras require minimum schools of 6.

Before you recommend fish for insanely small containers, please research the species to see if it would work. Research is crucial in this hobby.

LyndaB what size does a Betta need?? (I got a 5G right now for 1). I just thought Betta needed 2G and up! ;/ my research is wrong!

Fishie said:
LyndaB what size does a Betta need?? (I got a 5G right now for 1). I just thought Betta needed 2G and up! ;/ my research is wrong!

Imo, minimum tank for a betta is 5gal.

According to my research on liveaquaria glofish need a minimum of 1 gallon tank. And bettas have been kept for years in small portable fish tanks. Sorry if I gave any information which was not accurate.

tetras right,a 5 gallon minimum for bettas. just because they can live in a smaller tank doent mean its humane. and glofish in 1 gallon?? thats INSANE. they're just genetiacally modifyed zebra danios,which need a 20 gallon tank

jetajockey said:
Liveaquaria lists them as 1g minimum because they sell a tiny glofish tank.

+1 :) any fish could live in a 1G tank (with filtration Hester +PWC) but it's not humane.

Ethically and humanely speaking, the minimum for a betta should be 5 gallons.

Think of the betta with its finnage fully extended, in full flare. That can easily reach 4 inches. Now, think of a 2 gallon tank with filter, heater, decor and think of how cramped that betta is now. I believe that in order to keep them in optimal health and contentment, 5 gallons does the job (with no tank-mates).

Thank you all for you're comments, I think it's best to ditch the small tank and just get a bigger one, I don't really like shrimp/snails and don't want to risk any fish's health or happiness :)

Not necessarily wrong. 1 betta could work.
What LindaB was referring to is the size of the neons. Even tho they're small they're very active and require swimming area. ;)

Back
Top Bottom