Small tank is smelling like a dead fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kminman

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My 5.5 gallon tank has been clean and great for a while. 3 days ago it became suddenly murky and smells like a dead fish. My parameters are within range. I have 5 small fish. I have live plants too. I have tried adding a little extra conditioner with aloe, thinking my water just is weird. Then I tried adding nitrifying bacteria. Neither has helped. Fish seem to act the same and are healthy. The plants are still thriving. This picture is how cloudy it is after a 50% water change.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1395475962912.jpg
    1395475962912.jpg
    256.7 KB · Views: 163
It's overstocked. A 5.5G is far too small for a great white.

How long has the tank been set up? Was it cycled before adding fish? How long have the fish been in? Do you have a test kit and if so can you test ammonia/nitrites/nitrates?

It has been running well for over a month with no problems and the fish have been in it for a month too. Its got a 10 gallon filter running all the time. It ran 48 hours before putting fish in. Ammonia levels are low and so are the nitrites and nitrates.

I figured it out. I had faulty test strips. Took a sample of water to petsmart and had high alkalinity and a little above average ammonia. Thanks everyone!

Back
Top Bottom