Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-03-2022, 05:19 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Small transportable aquarium?

Good day, I would love to own a 2-5 gallon betta tank. However I work 2 weeks on/off where I am stationed in a house about 300km away. Would a glass Fluval Spec V be okay? Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you!

Old 07-04-2022, 11:57 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

So every 2 weeks relocate the tank etc a 5 hour drive away.

The spec 5 is probably as good as any to do that. I would drain the tank down so the water sloshing round doesnt cause seals to fail. Transfer the fish and filter media to a bucket or tote box of water from the tank with a battery air stone, keep the heating on in the car depending on what the weather is like where you live. Double dose of prime in the bucket to control ammonia.

You might be constantly trying to recycle the tank as you would never be giving it time to properly establish. Why not leave the fish at home and get someone to feed him when your not there? Get a larger tank so you know it can go 2 weeks without a water change?

Good luck.
Old 07-05-2022, 12:21 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Another alternative: a tank in each place, with a 1g travel tank to carry him back and forth. This would involve matching temps and parameters so he's not shocked when he arrives in each home.

I had to evacuate and travel for weeks with a betta last year. I bought a 1g tank, scooped water from his old tank to fill it 2/3. Nothing else was in the tank except a thermometer so I could keep track of how the car temp was affecting him. No substrate, no silk plant, no toys, so that nothing would turn into a weapon to bash him while in motion.

We were on the road for 12 hours the first day, 10 hours the second day. He nipped up to the surface for air, so no air stone. I carried him into restaurants and hotels (weirdly, no one ever questioned a fish on the dining table). He lived in that tank for the whole two weeks we were gone. At the destination, his plant and betta log went back in and he had his 5-minute fighting mirror ball again each day.

What I discovered was that his focus was on me, not his stuff. Since everything else was new and changing, he seemed to bond with me and became a fish that came up front every time he heard my voice or I entered a room. If I have to leave for a hurricane again this year I'll do the same thing.

Tags
aquarium, small, transport

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com