Small white bug like creatures in substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melody_myrrh

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi. I just started my tank 2 months ago. Recently i noticed these white creatures moving in my substrate. Pretty sure they are not planaria but it is bothering to look at. There were plenty of them. Vaccumed some but there are still a lot left. What are these and what do i do?

Attachments

• VideoCapture_20211128-223449.jpg
    VideoCapture_20211128-223449.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 34
Ostracods are also called seed shrimp or water fleas. you can search them and see if its the same.

Or are they like little worms?

I can't see well enough in the pic to tell.

It does not look like a worm. More like tiny bugs. Just checked it, it looks pretty close to ostracods... but not too close. Not sure if asia has a different variety of it.

I think i am convinced that these are seed shrimps. I am thinking of getting fish that love to have these for snacks. However i have a lot of cherry shrimps in my tank as well. I am thinking of getting platies. A mickey mouse i think. I will attach a picture of my whole tank. Do you think it will be a good idea? Not sure if my shrimps will be able to hide from the platies if ever i get them.

Attachments

• 20211127_143043.jpg
    20211127_143043.jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 25
A platy would probably try to eat the small shrimp. They are constantly picking away at bits of food all over the tank. Maybe look into some male Endlers / Guppy Endler mixes. I'd go males only because the females will eat anything building up strength for never ending pregancy and baby production. You woul need to have plenty of moss, Riccia or Subwassertang (Suswassertang) for cover. And still keep track of if there were any aggressively hungry individuals.

I kept a tank with Endlers and Guppy Endler crosses with grass shrimp for several years till I moved and shut down that tank.

There may be some other temporary options, where the fish stays in for a short amount of time and then goes back into their daily tank. Likeca vacation shrimp hotel, lol.

Back
Top Bottom