Small white leeches.. Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Basefrog

Aquarium Advice Freak
I noticed that i have some small white leeching looking creatures in my 6g planted tank. Live stock is Amano shrimp and Otos. they have all been in there for about 3 weeks. Where have they come from and how do I get rid of them?

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

P.S. The leeches are only about 2-3mm long so far.

Google planaria and see if that's what you have. If so, they are harmless, but you need to cut back on feeding and up water changes to get rid of them.

Reactions: HN1
Google "planaria" and see if that is them. If so, clean water, improved gravel vacs, etc will be your best bet.

Thanks for the quick responses guys! They do look like them.. Funny you should say cut down on feeding, as I noticed them when I was feeding xD though tbh I only feed once every 2-3 days. An I do a 30% pwc every week.

You def need to ID them! Do they undulate & swim like snakes? Do they have a sucker mouth & dive for cover when you turn the lights on? If this description fits the your worms, then you may have a leech problem. ID'ing them will be key here.

They are honestly too small to tell.. Though they are not free swimming.. They just move slowly along the surface of the glass.. The light seems to have no effect on them.

This is good news!! Most likely planaria (leeches dont crawl along on the glass) which are harmless. Just up your water changes/grav vacs & reduce feeding as suggested. If they get really annoying, you can safely treat the tank with prazipro to eliminate them. :)

They hide in your substrates. No harm from them but the thought of worms is harmful yah

I dont believe theres anything that eats them. They are basically just a nuisance. Wipe them off the glass & do some grav vacs & water changes & you should be able to bring them under control.

Back
Top Bottom