Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-25-2004, 10:31 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to HorseyJesse
small world filter

i recently purchased a small world filter (by penn-plax) to use for my 1/2 water 1/2 land tank

does anyone know anything about these filters? like if they are good or bad, or what not? the package didnt come with very many instructions and i cant find reviews about it online

i have it sideways in my tank...i was wondering if that is ok..

i have more questions..but ill wait to see if anyone knows anything bout them

thanks!

Old 03-26-2004, 01:26 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
the small world filter works great in small aquariums.... exactly how many gallons are going to be water and are you putting fish in it? Setting it sideways might cause you a problem though as I think that the water travels down the tube to get cleaned. I would put it upright just to be safe. I don't know that much about them, I just sell a crap-load of them where I work at and have spent some time checking out the little thing in my lazy time

I'll try to answer your questions about it though as best I can...

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 11:38 PM   #3

well i have it in my frog tank. it is a 10 gal so it would be a stretch to get the water level high enough in order to keep it upright.

when i first installed it and everything..it bubbled strangly...so i set it up in my normal aquarium (also 10 gal, but full of water) and left it running for a while and it still ran the same way, so i dont think having it sideways causes a problem...but ya never know
Old 03-27-2004, 08:58 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
hmm...exactly how many inches of water will there be... And, can you tell it is working? If it is bubbling strangely, in both cases, you might consider taking it back to the store if it is broken. I'll look into them when I go back to work monday and see what is up..

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 12:02 AM   #5

its in 4 inches of water
as for the bubbles..they are coming out of the top and bottom of the filter thing..so it could be normal..its just kinda loud (which could be the result of having it in such shallow water)

i can take some pictures of the setup, or whatever, if it would help any
Old 03-28-2004, 12:16 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Christmasfish Send a message via Skype™ to Christmasfish
They don't work well sideways because the water does not flow right through the entire filter. I use em in my QT and med tanks all the time. Toss da cartridge and you're done! I usually keep one filter in my tanks for cycling QT.
You may be better of with something like a duetto filter. It is made to be in several positions (bottom, sidedways, on the sides).
Otherwise the water side level has to be deep enough to cover it at least at at ipped angle with the up side mostly up or free floating ..
for some reason sideways makes it reallly crappy. And they ALL bubble oddly and sporadically.

Mega-pet stores prolly should not be allowed to sell animals as retail "items".
Christmasfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com