Smaller Arowana

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pacifico

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi. I'm in the process of setting up a new 55 gallon FW tank, but I've got a few questions I'd like some advice on.

A few years ago, I had a Jardini Arowana that I absolutely loved... Unfortunately, it quickly became too large for its tank & I was forced to get rid of it. I'd very much like to have an Arowana again, but I don't want one that will soon become a goliath (like most if not all other Arowanas). Thus my question: is there a species of Arowana out there that stays relatively small? More specifically: one that would be capable of living in a 55 gallon?

I'm also a huge fan of Clown Loaches. I'm pretty much set on getting in the neighborhood of five of them... Assuming they were introduced around the same time as this ... smaller... *crosses fingers* Aro, would there be any threat of the Aro being aggressive with them (looking for a meal)?

Thanks a lot--I look forward to posting here frequently.

Aros and large clown loaches get along fine, but with the smallest species of arowana (Asians...which you cannot have anyways) typically hitting 32"-36", the answer is 'no'. 300+ gallons is about minimal for even the smallest arowana species, I am afraid.

It is important to note here that clown loaches are best in schools of 5 or more, and although slow-growers, will eventually attain 12"-16".

Toirtis is right: very few aros are legal to export nowadays, so the only ones you generally see available are the silvers or blacks- both of which reach 48+ inches. Needless to say, those won't last for long in a 55 gallon tank...

Alright :-( Thanks for the help, though. Maybe I'll go for a Sevrum/Clown combo now...

I have a slight perference for Green's :). Let me ask you, though... Could I get away with, say, four of them in a 55? I am afraid that they might become too territorial as they get older. Also, is it possible to breed Sevrums in an aquarium?

On a side note: Voodoo, are you also an audiophile? I recall seeing someone with the same name on SounDomain.com's forums :)

Pacifico-

You wouldn't be able to keep four full-grown adults in a 55 (you're looking at a 8-10 inch fish), but I'd recommend getting about six juveniles to start with and letting a couple of them pair off naturally. You'll have to "thin out the herd" as they grow, but you should end up with a breeding pair from the original six fish.

Yes, it is very possible to breed sevs in an aquarium- and a healthy breeding pair will keep you up to your eyeballs in babies. That's usually not a problem, as most local shops will gladly buy/trade stock from local breeders.

Although I am an audiophile (I've got an audio engineering degree from MTSU), that's not me on the other forum. I may have to go check that out, though.;)

Back
Top Bottom