Smells like pepper...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

freefour

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all . I have a rather wiered question I guess. The other day as I was feeding my golds I noticed a pepper like smell from the water . It hasn't gone away iether. My water also has particals in it , I mean it's not clear . It's not clowdy or anything but you can see particls when they get in the current of the water from the pump. Any idea's ? I also changed my filter thinking it would take it out and to no effect. (and yes performed a water change but still has particals in it) My gold is gettin nice and fat but my callico has had white stringy poo and has lost her appitite to eat , She picks on the floor but not when fed. she eats I guess when she feels like it. The gold on the other hand attacts the food and has a VERY healthy appitite ( he has surrvived 5 other fish since I have had him) . (By the way all came from Wal-Mart)

White stringy poo can indicate parasites. What are your water parameters? How large a water change did you do and what size tank do you have? You could try some medicated food like Jungle's parasite medicated food. Strangely enough I have smelled a pepper like smell from my tanks once in a while so I do know what you mean. A water change had eliminated the smell mind you. Do you see any worm like particles in the water at all?

Everything is normal ( well accept for hard water and high PH, but those have been like that since the start I gave up on trying to fix it a long time ago) , 10 gallon tank ( read profile for the info) , about 30% change out do them every week . The calico had something for a while and I put Melafix with them for 4 days and it cleared up but she still hasn't been the same since . She is active thought not as much as the gold. Is the pepper smell and indication of something good or bad? I tried some Jungles Clear water about a day befor the filter and water change to clear up the water ( like I said it's not cloudy but is not as clear as it has been) and it didn't do anything although it has worked on other times in the past) .

I also have noticed a pepper smell when using melafix on occasion. Do you have active carbon in your filter when treating with meds? If so you should remove it, it removes the meds from the water. Do you mean Jungle's parasite clear or a cloudy remover? IMO the clearing products for aquariums work temporarily and do not resolve the cause of the cloudiness. The slight cloudiness may just be a bacterial bloom, turning off the lights a few more hours a day should help.

She may still be recovering, my concern is her poo being white and stringy. I would try some medicated food if she is interested in eating at all. What size are your fish? I tried your profile and themy info button for you, but got no specific info. Are they the only fish in your tank? Goldfish will get rather large and should have 10 gals per fish. Depending on size they may be creating ammonia spikes between water changes. Your parameters would be helpful in that regard.

They are around 3 inches long nowand it's just the 2 golds and a golden snailwho is about the size of a quarter. Nitrate and nitrite are 0 , ammonia the same , everything is good as far as the readings go . They are small now and I am planing on getting a 29 gal this summer.

Keep an eye on the parameters, your nitrates should not be 0 with an established tank. Becuase of the filter change you may suffer a mini cycle. I would stick with the medicated food and keep a close on on your ammonia and nitrites.

Back
Top Bottom