Smelly bucket

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

STARFYRE

Aquarium Advice Freak
I used all my buckets to mix SW in, so I bought three new buckets for my FW tanks. I got them at walmart, and they are the same buckets I've been using for years. When I bought them, I noticed the inside of the buckets looked glossy. They had a slight smell to them; kinda like new plastic, but much stronger. I rinsed them out, and as I was rinsing, the smell almost choked me. I filled them with hot water and the smell filled my entire kitchen.
They are regular plastic "cleaning" buckets. The same kind I've been buying for years. But I don't recall them ever smelling this strong before. Are they safe? Is it because they're new? I've had my other buckets for 4 years, so I can't remember if they had a smell when I first purchased them. Has anyone else had this experience?
Should I continue filling them with hot water and see if the smell subsides?

You could leave them to soak for a couple of days or something, and see if it gets any better. Could be a coating of some sort inside them. If it doesn't go in a couple of days I'd buy some new other (non-smelly!) ones to be on the safe side.

coldmachineUK said:
You could leave them to soak for a couple of days or something, and see if it gets any better. Could be a coating of some sort inside them. If it doesn't go in a couple of days I'd buy some new other (non-smelly!) ones to be on the safe side.

I agree completely-and can picture any one of us walking down the Wal-Mart aisle, smelling the buckets.... :lol:

It's not really doable this time of year, but I have read (on this site I seem to remember)where it was suggested to place them in a warm place like in the sun. This will heat them up and allow the plastic to "finish curing." I don't know if this is actually what is happening or not, but it may be worth trying.

Back
Top Bottom