smelly water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

auctioneeral

Aquarium Advice Newbie
55 gal tank with 2 kios 6" long and 1 goldfish 6" they were in a pond. i bought them in for the winter 1 1/2 weeks ago and put them in a new 55 gal tank. i started with a 350 mag. fitler and 4 days ago switched to 2 330 filters. the water started getting cloudy put as cleaned up. but i have a smell in the water. i have another 55 tank with 6 goldfish 5" long and thats been running for over a month with no problems. any help would be helpful
thanks
allen

It could be decaying food within the gravel. How often are you testing your water? And when was the last time you did a water change with a vacuuming of your gravel?

Smelly water usually has a film on the surface. The water smells because of high ammonia. The tank has to cycle before you put the fish in. If you put the fish in a tank with new water and new filters it will take a while for the ammonia to go away. In the mean time do 20% water changes once a week and try to keep feeding to a minimum since decaying material and fish waste cause ammonia build up. Again be sure to keep up with those water changes because after the ammonia goes away you will have a nitrite spike and a nitrate spike and this is very stressful on the fish and could cause death.

Back
Top Bottom