Snail acting funny!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Screamin99

Aquarium Advice Newbie
well I have had this snail for about a year and a half and well I had him in my 55, well I pulled him out and put him a 32oz cup to feed him lettuce, I always do this and have done this since I first got him, well I usually sit him in there and leave him alone for a day or two I check him from time to time.. and add lettuce or a chunk of carrott etc.. well I started checking him last night my smaller snail was in with him, and he was stuck to the side of the cup up top , and the bigger snail my elder one was upside down in the bottom, he was splattered out kinda I touched the bottom part that closes him up tight inside his shell it was still there he looked dead, I gently pushed on that door like thing and he kinda closed up and held himself there for a seccond..

I didnt just put him in the garbage or throw him out I put him in a baby fish net and put the other snail in there too, I dont know is he in dormancy or what? is he dead how can I tell.. im so mad because I dont know whats wrong. :evil:

oh yeah and guys im new and your site looks great! im glad to be here.

Welcome to AA.

Since he reacted to your touch by closing his door...he may be resting. Pick him up and take a whiff. If you smell an odor or if any of his body is hanging outside of the door, he may well have expired. :(

If not, leave him alone and monitor him.

One question though, why do you always remove him (and partner) for feeding?

because I dont know any other way to do it? although I have found this baby net and I may just start using it, the current on top of the water makes the lettuce move around too much and he/ his buddy can't catch it?!? they can't hold it so I just started doing this about 3-4 months after I got him, had one before him and the lady at the pet store told me he would eat fish flakes and well he died, obviously he didnt have any food. so I did this. I was reading something while ago and it said they need 2.5 gallons of water to be comfortable in, well he and his partner have done this at least 4-5 times It just makes me wonder.. :(

It really isn't necessary to remove snails from the tank. You just need the right modifications to get their food to them. You can use a larger sized carrot, the larger the piece, the less bouyant it is and will sink to the bottom. Lettuce can be tied to a piece of decoration. They will also consume sinking foods such as algae wafers and shrimp pellets. Flake foods dissolve pretty quickly and cannot be counted on a a staple diet.

Take a look at my clicky of "plants and fish", there is a pic of my snail eating a carrot.

:cry: lol I feel bad they dont have any of those here that I have seen

but what was strange he was fine, and doing great.. then boom, he has come out and went in the cup for food many of many of times..

I just dont understand.. he can't close himself up good cant tell if he is even trying.. or nothing.. just kinda laying around.. he dosent smell at all though.

I know they will eat alge wafers and such, I drop a few in from time to time, I also drop in shrimp pellets

I dont know whats wrong with him? ideas?

still laying at the bottom, he smells like the water in the tank..

is he dead or dormant? :?: :|

Back
Top Bottom