Snail advice needed please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

severum mama

Aquarium Advice Addict
Last Friday I got an apple snail to help with the algae problem in my 5 gallon hex betta tank. I figured that there was enough algae in there so that it would leave my plants alone (java fern and I believe red rubin). So far it's taken care of a lot of the algae, but it has also really chewed up my java fern leaves and some of my red rubin as well. Is there another kind of snail that will leave my plants alone that would help with the algae? Or can anyone recommend any small fish that would help? The algae in question is green, slimy, and hairy- pretty nasty stuff. I guess I will be taking my snail home so my plants don't die. And all this time I thought you could keep plants with an apple snail- how come it seems to work for other people? :roll: TIA

There's a good chance that you have a "cana". These guys love plants. The best way to tell is too look at the foot coloration. If it is gray/brownish, it's a "Cana".

It's more whitish than greyish. I guess this guy will be moving into my 30 gallon parrot tank sometime soon. :roll:

Any suggestions for fish that would eat this stuff that could live in an established 5 gallon with a betta? I know I am quite limited by the tank size, which is why I'm asking.

Snails are great tank cleaners, but not great algae eaters. Even the "safe" snails will eat plants if they get bored with algae. They will nibble on whatever they can find. They only eat algae as a last resort.
How about a pitbull pleco or an otocinclus for your betta tank?

well, I was thinking about otos, but heard that they mostly eat diatoms. That's not what I have, and I was afraid they would starve, or at least not eat as much algae as I wanted. A pitbull pleco would be nice, but I'm not sure if I can find one around here. I'll look around. Thanks for the suggestions.

Btw, the snail did eat most of the algae before moving on to my plants! :lol:

Yeah, snails will eat some algae, but not great as a sole source for removing algae. Maybe if you request a pitbull from your lfs, they can get you one (I would get two). The otocinclus, according to planet catfish do eat algae, not just diatoms but should be supplemented with wafers and veggies. Also they should be kept in groups. I think if there is only a betta in the tank, you could put a couple in there. Good luck with whatever you decide.

I think the first reply was thinking of nerite snails.

I have two otos in my 5gal hex with my betta, and there's no algae to be seen. Since there's two I have to supplement them with a lot of veggies and wafers, though.

With my hair alge problem, or "black beard" alge, I dropped in an "American-flag fish". It all was gone in about 3 days, they love that stuff. But i am afraid he may get too large for a 5 gallon. I think the minimum tank size is 10 gallons.

Back
Top Bottom