Snail aggressive fishes..advice needed.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deli_conker

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I set up my 55 as a community tank complete with river rock from home depot. A few weeks later I notice a piece of sludge the size of a pea on the side of the tank. I ask myself "what the heck is on the side of my tank?" followed by "Is that thing moving up?"

Sure enough it's a snail. Must have been a domant snail egg that hatched when I made the conditions right. I wasn't too worried about it at first. Then I noticed a clear sack with white dots in it. I wasn't sure who layed them, so I didn't bother them. I took a picture to post here, but if I got close enough to see them, the picture turned out too blurry to post.

Yesterday morning I noticed 6 more snails craling around. The thing is, they were on the opposite side of the tank. Whether or not the snails came from those eggs or not is of little importance (aside from being able to identify snail eggs). I just need to know what fish is compatable with my existing fish and those that I plan to add that will keep the snail population in check.

Also, it has to be able to exist without snails (if possible) and not outgrow a 55 gal tank. I'll also need to know if only one would suffice or if it would need to be in a school.

I've heard that kuhli loaches might do the trick, so any knowledge shared would be appreciated.

The fish I already have are in my sig, the ones I wish to add are 10-12 red phantom tetras and maybe 2-3 dwarf gouramis and maybe some rams.

Clown loaches can easily reach 6" and go up from there. They also do best in shoals of at least 3. Yo-yo loaches will help. They get to 4" and are also best in shoals of 3+. There is a great yo-yo loach profile in the Fish Profiles forum.

They look like pond snails from what I've seen thus far.

I'll have to check into yo-yo loaches. How fast will they reduce the population? Will they ever eradicate it completely? Will they be in trouble if I run out of snails or are snails just a treat for them?

I've had my yo-yos for 3 years or so ... and they seem to like shrimp pellets, algae wafers and tubifex (they go crazy with tubifex). I've also attempted to gain a snail population because I wanted to see the yo-yos eat them ... and to my dismay ... everytime I attempt to add snails (via asking the clerk to thrown them in with new plants) ... they drop into the tank ... never to be seen from again.

I've read other people say that yo-yos aren't the best snail eaters ... but mine sure make them disappear in a hurry.

Besides the snails ... yo-yos are great fun, have lots of personality and always keep my tank hopping.

I never had snails in my tank, but my yo-yos are tons of fun! With their long mouths, they get into every crack to find food--they even flip over small rocks!

How big do all these loaches get? An earlier post said that yo-yo's get about 4". What about the others? I'd like to stay small so I can have more in the tank...

Back
Top Bottom