Snail control recommendations please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Buckfins

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have had a blow up of snails. Not pond snails that come with the live plants but another breed I haven't had before. Their shells look like cones. And I found one awhile back but now I have an invasion! I have loaches that ate the pond nails but these guys hide deep in the gravel and come out at night it seems. ANY advice just short of blowing up my tank would be appreciated.

I can't help you hey rid of them because I'm having the same problem I've been picking them out every morning 15-20 a day sometimes but I believe I can identify them as mts ( Malaysian trumpet snails )

If your snail populations are exploding, chances are they have too much to eat. Keep an eye on your feeding levels and cleaning regimen.

MTS are hard to get rid of. You can trap and remove them but you will have to do it forever and it will only keep the levels in check.

Assassin snails will eat MTS and are a decent community member as long as you don't have any snails you want to keep.

Another solution is to break down the tank and soak everything in a bleach solution. That might be a more nuclear approach than you were looking for though. :whistle:

If your snail populations are exploding, chances are they have too much to eat. Keep an eye on your feeding levels and cleaning regimen.

MTS are hard to get rid of. You can trap and remove them but you will have to do it forever and it will only keep the levels in check.

Assassin snails will eat MTS and are a decent community member as long as you don't have any snails you want to keep.

Another solution is to break down the tank and soak everything in a bleach solution. That might be a more nuclear approach than you were looking for though. :whistle:
My feeding levels are where they should be and the tank parameters are spot on. Great filtration. Looks like I am going to assassin snails to help. How many do you recommend for a 55g?

MTS really aren't that big of a deal, at least in a planted tank. They help to aerate the substrate, which is good for the plant's roots. And they can be used as just a general "barometer" for your tank health, if the population is exploding then something probably changed that you might want to investigate. But I like my tanks to be more like a full ecosystem, so I've got all sorts of snails and things :)

My feeding levels are where they should be and the tank parameters are spot on. Great filtration. Looks like I am going to assassin snails to help. How many do you recommend for a 55g?

I would start with 4-6 in a 4ft tank.

Back
Top Bottom