Snail Eaters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drobertson

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am sure this has been asked before, but does anyone know of a smaller fish that enjoys snail for lunch?? I am being over run, and have tried everything I can think of. I have Neon Tetra's and Corie cats in this tank.

yoyos or angelicus. Both stay under 5" each, and love snails (they both eat my mts)

dwarf puffers.... but they are very agressive.

yoyo loach.... but some are agressive, and some wont eat snails, its hit or miss

a cucumber cut in half.. with something to weight it down... remove it in the morning... put it in a lights out... so this a few times... snails gone... :D

while i dont like them for their seemingly randomness, and insecurity when in the open. kuhli loaches stay about 2.5-3" are are cheap, usually a dollar something

I've found that convicts are awesome fish for eating snails. If you can evacuate the cories and the neons someplace else for a two to three days you could get away with it.

I'm not sure that kuhli loaches are capable of eating snails. A friend of mine has a 'monster' kuhli's in his tank (3-4inches), and the tank has plenty of snails. A striata or 2 would probably be the best option, they don't seem to be as aggressive/rowdy as the other loaches, and certainly don't get as big.

Yasuhikotakia sidthimunki (y)

img_759865_0_2a967834ef09b84cd3db7993e648b916.jpg

(Photo from www.loaches.com)

So small, so cute, so hungry for snails. So active. So purdy. So good with other fish. Get six.

MyCatsDrool said:
ooooh plecoperson, those are BEAUTIFUL.

They are just dreamy...love to swim in the bubbles, they make little clicking sounds, and I am smitten with mine. Kinda spendy at the pet shop, I got mine at Frank's Aquarium. Had to add to the box to make the shipping worthwhile, of course.

might have to get some.....will they be ok with marble hatchets, a peacock eel and a male betta who is pretty passive?

plecoperson said:
Yasuhikotakia sidthimunki (y)

img_760005_0_2a967834ef09b84cd3db7993e648b916.jpg

(Photo from www.loaches.com)

So small, so cute, so hungry for snails. So active. So purdy. So good with other fish. Get six.

Those are some neat looking fish, Have to see if I can find some.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I know I could count on you guys, and gals.

thanks again

Back
Top Bottom