snail egg deposits?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tomherndon

Aquarium Advice Activist
Not sure if this is a general discussion or a newbie topic for troubleshooting.

Over the last couple of weeks I've noticed several clear "globs" with little white bodies at different spots on my tank - on glass, plants and a ceramic tile edge. A couple have disappeared and then others have surfaced. The blobs remind me of video of frog eggs; mostly clear media with suspended eggs.

I had a couple of hitchhiking snails when I placed plants that weren't evident until weeks later - not sure the type of snail- and wonder if the blobs may be snail eggs.

background on tank:
The tank now two months with fish (almost three months total)

10 gal with diy filter - (small pump with hose draining into 18in of 3/4 in pvc half filled with gravel)
flora 2 bundles of ludwigia repens (at 20 cm below surface) and three groups of valisneria spiralus (25 cm below surface) under 15 watt aquarium plant bulb. Both plants groupings have stems/parts that reach water surface.

fauna 6 neons (2 added a few days ago ago) 1 green cory, hitchhiked snail population.
at one point I saw two grow from 2mm diameter to about 9mm (viewed through the glass) then one of the larger seems to have disappeared while some new small (2mm) seem to be popping up.

most recent tests within the last two weeks put water soft at pH 6.8, KH at 2 and NO3 at 10ppm.

the snails are red/black speckled in color. very mobile. not sure if they are burrowing in substrate or not.

terracing of gravel with tile pieces makes gravel 3 to 8 to 12 cm deep from front left to back right of tank so there's no telling if a burrowing snail population is on full tilt at night.

I haven't been able to work on photos of the tank yet, much to my regret.

any ideas based on my limited information?

Red and black could be several types of snails. What shape is their shell? Is it more bowl shaped, conical shaped, or spiraled? There are of course many many types of snails but these are usually the hitchhikers...

Malaysian Trumpet Snail (also Malayan Livebearing Snail)
Common Pond Snail (also Tadpole Snail)
Ramshorn Snail (Comes in many color variations)

Now, when you say red and black it makes me wonder, I seriously doubt these have hitchhiked into your tank and if they did I say you were incredibly lucky but...

Neritina Snail

If they are Nerites, send them my way if you don't want them. That would be quite fortuitous.

If they are Nerite snails, you are very lucky. They are one, if not the best, algae eating snails out there.

If is those are Nerite eggs, don't worry about it as they can't develop in fresh water.

thanks for the handy responses - looks like I've got run of the mill pond snails mostly red brown in color with black flecks. Sorry to raise anyone's hopes on the more novel varieties with the generic "red/black" statement.

and the odd goo on my tank seems to be egg pasting behavior. . .

Anyone know if they burrow much? -Making their numbers difficult to approximate?

Back
Top Bottom