Snail eggs nooo!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gimmethatfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I have 2 mystery snails that got put together in the same tank about 3 months ago (long story). I didn't know the genders, but after 3 months of no eggs I thought they must be the same sex. Surprise this morning - a gigantic pile of snail eggs the size of a volkswagen. My daughter was thrilled, so I couldn't bring myself to just flush them right in front of her. I've been reading that it takes a while for them to hatch, so I'm probably not going to go home to 50,000 snail babies. Is there any point in like scraping off most of them and leaving 1 or 2 for my daughter's sake or would it just damage the whole clutch and be pointless?

I know, I know, leaving any snails invites more eggs and more eggs and more eggs. But I have enough tanks to separate them.

So I have 2 mystery snails that got put together in the same tank about 3 months ago (long story). I didn't know the genders, but after 3 months of no eggs I thought they must be the same sex. Surprise this morning - a gigantic pile of snail eggs the size of a volkswagen. My daughter was thrilled, so I couldn't bring myself to just flush them right in front of her. I've been reading that it takes a while for them to hatch, so I'm probably not going to go home to 50,000 snail babies. Is there any point in like scraping off most of them and leaving 1 or 2 for my daughter's sake or would it just damage the whole clutch and be pointless?

I know, I know, leaving any snails invites more eggs and more eggs and more eggs. But I have enough tanks to separate them.

If you get infestation, feed less and buy some assasins snails. After my tank cycle, I got a multiple snails species outbreak (thousands of them) (eggs from new live plants non-QT). There's was few assasins snails in the mix and 4 month after, there's only few small assasins snails remaining.

YoYo/Pakistani Loaches are a snails nemesis. 3 will clear the tank of small and baby snails in a few weeks! My LFS doesn't sell assassin snails and recommended the yoyo's, glad they did cause they are fun to watch!

Back
Top Bottom