Snail erosion : How to add calcium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swanandmokashi

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My mystery snail is showing signs of shell erosion. I guess it needs more calcium, question is how do I add calcium ? Anything in the diet ?

Also how will it affect the other tank inmates (it is my 15 gallon from the signature)

TIA

Well really, it's a good idea to look before you leap. The best thing to do is measure for KH and pH. They likely affect each other. If you find the KH very low (2 or under), and the pH also low, it's safe to add a handful of crushed coral to the filter which will raise both levels gradually.

i was wondering whether rubbing some mild toothpaste on the shells might help. it might help strengthening the shells. but wipe off and clean the smnails thouroughly before putting back in the tank.

amitnarain said:
i was wondering whether rubbing some mild toothpaste on the shells might help. it might help strengthening the shells. but wipe off and clean the smnails thouroughly before putting back in the tank.

are you kidding mw ??? 8O 8O

teeth are not snail shells. skip the Crest, and bust out the pH and Kh test kits.

is your tap water very soft? do you do regular water changes?

I would think that unless your tap water is very soft, that regular water changes should keep snail shells healthy.

Yes I do about 15-20% water change every week --- I will go ahead and do the pH and KH tests tonight and let you guys know --

You can add marine liquid calcium to your tank as long as you're careful not to overdo it.

On applesnail.net they have lots of info about shells and how to care for snails with eroding shells. Here is one sticky that might be helpful. Scroll down to section on "General Shell Condition" : info on snail shell health

you can also add one of those vacation feeders they are almost all calcium. it worked in my tanks...too much in fact I have calcium buildup on the glass.

Back
Top Bottom