Snail food.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LollyMac11

Aquarium Advice Regular
What can I feed my golden Apple snails that my fish won't eat?! My fish seem to eat everything I put in the tank!

Probably nothing. Just put a little more than the fish will eat, or drop it in a couple different areas. What do you feed for the snails? They're not really algae eaters, but my Mystery Snail loves the algae wafers. He muscles his way in and wraps his foot around it to keep the fish away until he's ready to eat it *lol*

Well I found out they like blueberries, as you say they wrap their foot round it for an hour or so till they eat it, however my fish also like eating them! So it just depends on which one gets there first! I haven't got any algy flakes yet, do fish normally eat them?

I feed my fish peas from time to time and the snails eat them....if they can get there in time! I put some pieces of celery stalks in for the snails, which at first was great, the fish left them alone and the snails loved them, however I noticed yesterday that the fish had started eating them too! I felt like I just couldn't win! Lol:) Hence the question!

My betta and my corys like algae wafers, so depends on what's in the tank. My Black Neons keep trying to get to the algae wafers for the corys in the big tank.

Are your fish able to finish whatever they go after, or do they leave some of it behind? Snails don't need a whole lot, relatively speaking. My snail will grab the algae wafer, but when he's done with it, there's still, like, 2/3 of it left or more. If he gets to the food first at least a couple times a week, he's fine. You can also wait to feed until he wanders closer to where you feed, or drop it where he's hanging out, if you want him to get it first.

I have a Ryukin and an Oranda. They never stop eating! I will try some extra flakes or dripping specific stuff next to them and see if that works. Only problem is is that my two fish are too greedy! Lol :)

I don't know if this is a bad idea but I feed my apples chicken pellets. Only one at a time because the fish pick then apart a bit so they end up all over the place.

The fish lose interest after they have realized its not fish food and the snails have made their way over there and eat.

obedey said:
I don't know if this is a bad idea but I feed my apples chicken pellets. Only one at a time because the fish pick then apart a bit so they end up all over the place.

The fish lose interest after they have realized its not fish food and the snails have made their way over there and eat.

Sorry if I sound like an idiot...do you make the chicken pellets or buy them? I would like to give it a try!

Mumma.of.two said:
What about dropping an algae wafer in after the Goldies are asleep?

They always wake up! As soon as I come into the room, the tiniest of noises wakes them then they dance around the front of the tank like crazy fish hoping to find food from me! :) They really are greedy!
:)

obedey said:
I buy them from a pet food /livestock store.

It cost $5 for a bag that will last a very long time so i mix in some rice to stop them getting moisture and going off.

Thanks. I'll have a look next week and give them a go! :)

Back
Top Bottom