Snail for my goldfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cobaltskyy said:
Why do they sell goldfish with a dang goldfish bowl if they grow over a foot long!! Omg...im glad im learning. I knew goldfish were dirty but I didn't realize they should be in a pond! Geesh!

They do that for the money. They're a business and don't care about the fish they sell.

Courtesy of Dakota's iPod.

Yeah it's terrible. It's like at both my mom & pop lfs and chain store there is a display of terrible teeny tiny fish prisons for sale with the bettas. Lovely..just lovely. Anything for a buck!

siva said:
Yeah it's terrible. It's like at both my mom & pop lfs and chain store there is a display of terrible teeny tiny fish prisons for sale with the bettas. Lovely..just lovely. Anything for a buck!

It's so sad. Even to have my Betta in a bowl for less than one day until I get a divider for my ten gallon makes me feel so guilty. I just couldn't let him sit on that shelf in Walmart and waste away. I couldn't stop thinking about him when I saw him a couple days ago, so I went back and bought him today.

Oh you got a new one! Nah he's fine, you saved him..he'll be livin' the life in no time ;) Let me know how the divider thing works. I've never tried it..

I will. Yeah, look for my thread titled Patriot to see pictures of him.

haha 2 of my males my 3 yr old named...they are Num Num and Barbara. Barbara the boy betta. How ridiculous right lol. The other one I just named Alucard. I can't find the patriot thread?

I put Ernie in the 10g as soon as I got home! Here are couple pics. He is soooooo happy:)

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110401_191759.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110401_191759.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 64
  • ForumRunner_20110401_191810.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110401_191810.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 49
  • ForumRunner_20110401_191822.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110401_191822.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 53
siva said:
So big I can barely even say it! lol Really...no point in having a common goldfish if you don't have a pond. I would take it to a local fish store, they will prob take it and adopt it out for you. A 10 gal tank is not a home for a common goldie. I'm not an expert on them but I think you're supposed to have 125 gals for a pair. I mean they are seriously pond fish. And they produce so much ammonia. In an unfiltered bowl I'm shocked he's lasted this long. If you can part with the goldie, you have the makings of a nice home for your betta. A heated, filtered, 10 gal tank is an ideal home for a betta. What you mentioned before, about your last betta and the current..that is an issue sometimes. I have 10 bettas and this is what I've done with all their tanks and it works perfectly, cheap and easy fix!Filter Currents: A Betta's Worst Nightmare With your betta in the 10 gal you could definitely add a couple large-ish nerite snails or a mystery/apple snail. I find even with my one male who has gotten rough with smaller snails, that he can't really damage the larger ones. Some people add some other tankmates with them as well in a 10 gal but I'm too nervous about that to try. I've tried shrimp but they became snacks :)

So I think I solved the rehoming issue...my best friend has a farm in upstate NY and they have been wanting to get an ornamental pond going!! :) :)

I found this thread to be hilarious. You guys/gals beat this poor dude in the head about his goldfish. Even making suggestions to take it back to the LFS. Hes had this goldfish for 2 years, and its apparently been taken care of because its still alive! Fish can thrive in many different conditions as long as they are well taken care of. Goldfish are among the hardiest of fish you can buy.
I do agree that 4g was way too small for the fish, but a single juvenile goldfish can be just as happy in a well taken care of 10g tank as it would be in a 40,000 gallon pond. At least in the 10g he doesnt have to worry about getting eaten by EVERYthing!

Nobody "beat" her. We gave her facts and let her make her own decisions. Goldfish and betta are the 2 most popular fish for beginners because they do survive in inappropriate conditions. It doesn't mean it's right, it doesn't mean they're healthy, and it doesn't mean their happy. (Hence why my sig says what it does)

Last edited:
Unfortunately Humor doesn't translate well in text. I was NOT attacking anyone.. Or anything that was said, except for the advice to take the fish back to the LFS. Had he just gotten the fish, that woulda been a different story entirely.

Phlex said:
Unfortunately Humor doesn't translate well in text. I was NOT attacking anyone.. Or anything that was said, except for the advice to take the fish back to the LFS. Had he just gotten the fish, that woulda been a different story entirely.

When I am joking in a post I make sure to put lol a LOT in the post so people will know I'm not trying to be rude or anything.

I realized you didn't mean we literally beat her but other than that I had no idea any of it was less than serious. Fo-realz.

Last edited:
Lmfao this is too funny :) :) :) FIRST OF ALL Im a girl. And I am appreciative of all advice....I take the best possible care of all of my babies...lol let's just all get along and learn from one another peacefully...im too young to be a true hippie but im truly a hippie at heart <3 llcobaltskyyll so PEACE :eek:D

Secondly...check out my pics under Showcases.... :eek:P Any suggestions other than more real plants. Hahaha

It is very common for people to take fish that grow large to a lfs after a long time of ownership. This is something discussed around here all the time so don't be surprised. A pleco, a moor, a common, an oscar, whatever it is, fish that get very large often need to be re-homed..especially when the owner did not know they grew that large at the time of purchase.

Back
Top Bottom