Snail help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GreenTerrorNoob

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have tried keeping trapdoor snails and mystery snails in my 55 gal . The shells always seem to disolve slowly over 2-3 months and they die. Is this normal? Any help is appreciated

What's the GH and KH of your water?
Are you supplementing with any calcium rich foods?

No salt in the tank.. I also was wondering if some sort of calcium supplement would work.. What foods are calcium rich? And how am i sure the snaiks are feeding on the food and not all other fish

Mine have blanched kale & spinach good sources off calcium. Add cuttlebone as well as this can help. I buy calcium blocks for mine but find the cuttlebone just as effective. :)

You really do need to invest in a kit that has both GH and KH tests, API makes one. Your GH and KH should be at least 5, if I remember right, in order for there to be enough of the proper chemicals (including calcium, which is your KH number) in the water to keep shells hard. Ph should also be no lower than 7 as acid water helps to break down their shells. The water is as important maybe more so than supplimenting food. Don't get me wrong food or calcium blocks are good but you need proper water hardness to keep them healthy.

Rivercats said:
You really do need to invest in a kit that has both GH and KH tests, API makes one. Your GH and KH should be at least 5, if I remember right, in order for there to be enough of the proper chemicals (including calcium, which is your KH number) in the water to keep shells hard. Ph should also be no lower than 7 as acid water helps to break down their shells. The water is as important maybe more so than supplimenting food. Don't get me wrong food or calcium blocks are good but you need proper water hardness to keep them healthy.

+1 Except that GH is Calcium (and Magnesium) and KH is Carbonate hardness.

Google Calcium rich foods for things you can feed.

Thanks for help on water parameters.. Where can i get calcium blocks safe for my aquarium?

I got my calcium blocks off e bay, but I find cuttlebone does the same job. Give plenty off calcium rich foods this has helped mine :)

Back
Top Bottom