Snail ID?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Found this site which might help: applesnail.net/content/faq.php#13

Check out the snail identification as well. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Ik that, stores usually call then mystery snails because they are too lazy to find their real id

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What I wanted to know is are these going to grow to apple size or max out at golf ball size

Where did you buy it? My guess would be mystery snail, golf ball size.

From what I understand for where I live, most snails being sold under apple snail/mystery snail are pomacea diffusa which stay relatively small. Unless you order from someone specifically breeding and selling pomacea maculata (giant apple snail), you'll end up with the diffusa.

I was at a private owned pet store in florida and the tank just had various snails mixed I was just buying nerite since they were a dollar if you bought three. Sadly there was only one living nerite so the guy gave me the gold and blue snail at the same price as the nerites. The labels on the tank were med apple snail, mystery snail, ramshorm snail, and nerites.

Like Max said, http://applesnail.net/ is a good place. Just go to the link that says species then at the bottom there is a link for the "quick and dirty guide" that gives differences amongst them.

If you got giant apple snails I'm going to be extremely jealous and demand that you breed them and send me some.

They breed, so now there are babies everywhere, and two more egg clumps that still need to hatch

I would suggest destroying the other egg sacks. If you allow all of them to hatch you will have hundreds of babies. The recommended density of mystery snails are 1 per 5 gallons of water. Some say one per 10 gallons. They produce a lot of waste and can quickly throw water conditions off. If you decide to hatch them then you need to start finding homes or buy a lot of tanks to keep them. It is best to ship them before they get past quarter size. Larger ones do not ship as well as babies. At applesnail.net they have a lot of advice on caring for hatchlings. Good place to get lots of advice.

I'll let nature take its course, I'm planning on selling most of them, only keeping like 4. I also have bigger fish in the tank so they might eat them

I'm guessing they turned out to be mystery snails instead of the giant apples?

They are stills growing, so idk how long it takes for a snail to become full grown.

If it's maculata/giant apple snail the eggs will be greenish. If it's diffusa/mystery snail the eggs are more pink.

They're apple snails, I keep canas and mine don't look like that.
Good luck with the babies! I'm thinking of breeding canas soon so I'm following your thread!

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
16 gallon vampire shrimp, green lace shrimp and snails.

Back
Top Bottom