Snail Identification Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laura259

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi All! Hoping for some answers and help here... I bought a few new floating plants recently and it seems that they came with a “free snail” Found this guy wandering the other day, this is the second time I’ve seen it now and it’s so tiny it can actually use water traction to scoot across the water! I’m not averse to snails - I already have 1 nerite - but I want to ask if I should worry? What is this guy? Is it going to reproduce and go crazy? I’m pretty kind of sure there’s only one... Please help!

Attachments

• 7EABAD9B-9DA1-49C2-94F2-2131DAA79CFF.jpg
    7EABAD9B-9DA1-49C2-94F2-2131DAA79CFF.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 22
It looks like a pond snail to me. They are pest snails, so if you do have more than one (highly likely) then count on more within the next few months.

They are an utter pain, some fish love to eat them like puffers. They will eat plant if they have nothing better to do, your best off removing it from your main tank as soon as you see any.
Large shrimp may eat them and outcompete them for food, so if you get an outbreak usually feeding a little less or getting something large like ghost shrimp can help.

Back
Top Bottom