snail in fw with salt. is that alright?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amitnarain

Aquarium Advice Freak
snail in fw with salt. is that alright?

i have 15 gallon tank with 1 tablespoon of salt in it.

can i put in a snail in that water?

or will the salt kill it?

hurry plz. its very urgent.

Well 1 tbsp of salt ina 15 gallon will be fine with snails. I use salt as a medicine (along with eat) and my snails all survive just fine. They do not like long term exposure to salt at higher levels. Why are you adding salt to the tank, and what type of salt?

I kept a snail in my 20 gallon with 40 Tbsp. of salt (while treating ICH) and he kept roaming happy the whole time. He's alive today many months later and there is still about half of the salt remaining in the tank.

0.jpg

This picture was taken just after the ICH treatment after only one 10% PWC. There were 36 tablespoons of salt in the tank. You see the snail cruising on the front glass.

Question: Why are you adding salt? If you're doing it because you think it will reduce stress don't add it. You should only use it for treating ich and other diseases.

mvigor said:
I kept a snail in my 20 gallon with 40 Tbsp. of salt (while treating ICH)

Other than that, I decided there was no hurry to remove it, so I'm just doing routine water changes. With just one smallish Goldfish in the tank I'm doing occasional 10 or 20% WC, so there will be salt in the tank for some time.

Having aquarium salt in the water with aquatic snails, is not the same thing as sprinkling table salt on your Garden snails. Though I no longer use Salt, I used to use 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons without issue.

sorry. its scale loss. they were eaten by a parrot.

i removed the parrot now and currently have two comets with 4 rosy barbs (i only keep these because the tank seamed empty and also they are quite beautiful) and i have 2 albino corys. (planning to get two more.)

and also the snail.

note: 15gallon tank with 1 table spoon salt.

Are you going to find a larger home for them (the comets)? 15 gal is too small.

well my pacu died out of ich.

i gave my parrot to my cousins because they were eating the scales off my comets.

and yes. when they get bigger i will give my comets away. i know they are meant for ponds.

Back
Top Bottom