Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-28-2011, 10:40 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Snail infestation!

One of my fry grow-out tanks has been over-run with little snails. How do I get rid of them? Are there fish that eat them? Or should I just completely re-do the tank with fresh gravel and the whole deal?

Old 12-28-2011, 10:42 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

How did the snails get in there? Do you have plants or decor taken from another tank?

The snails will only overpopulate if you overfeed. Since it's a grow out tank, I would not recommend getting any snail-eating species, unless the situation is completely out of control, and then I would advise you to get 1 or 2 assassin snails.

75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:45 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to ejaramillo01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bktgifridays
One of my fry grow-out tanks has been over-run with little snails. How do I get rid of them? Are there fish that eat them? Or should I just completely re-do the tank with fresh gravel and the whole deal?
Here are some options:
1. Add an assassin snail. This type of snails eat other snails, so maybe can control you problem.
2. Add a Yo Yo loach. This fish are good eating snails. Be sure that you QT your fish before is introduced to you tank (if possible).
3. Manually remove them. You can add a piece of lettuce at night, in the morning the snails will be attach to the lettuce (eating), so remove the lettuce, repeat as needed.

Hope this helps.

Edgar
ejaramillo01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:47 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejaramillo01 View Post
2. Add a Yo Yo loach.
Yoyos need to be in groups of at least 3. My yoyos never ate snails.

What size is this tank?
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
Old 12-28-2011, 10:52 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Gravel and decor were both from another tank but never saw snails before. And I could move the fry and put something else in there for awhile to eat the snails. Wondering if any of the fish I already have would eat them?
Old 12-28-2011, 10:54 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

The only way we'll know is if you tell us what you have.

If it were my tank, I would just leave the fry there, and feed less, and hand pick out the villains.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:54 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Tank is just a 20gl long I use to hatch my EBJD eggs.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:03 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

And I have 10 tanks with quite a variety of aquatic life. Electric Blue Dempsey's, about 8 species of catfish, 2 bichers, needle-nose gar, and a 125gl community tank with about 15 different kinds of fish( guppies, platy's, Molly's, loaches, guramies(sp?), angels, silver dollars, loaches, Cory's, tetras, barbs, umm...etc.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:25 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to ejaramillo01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bktgifridays
And I have 10 tanks with quite a variety of aquatic life. Electric Blue Dempsey's, about 8 species of catfish, 2 bichers, needle-nose gar, and a 125gl community tank with about 15 different kinds of fish( guppies, platy's, Molly's, loaches, guramies(sp?), angels, silver dollars, loaches, Cory's, tetras, barbs, umm...etc.
Wow!! Tha is a lot of tanks, species, etc. Congratulations!
Saying so now:
Don't tell me that you did not know how to deal with snails?
ejaramillo01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:35 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Depending on the type of loaches you have, you might be able to just drop the snails into the other tanks for disposal. That said, if you're going to pick them out anyway, I would just dispose of them myself.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:27 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Haha never had a snail issue before...and as for my "collection" i kinda jumped head first into aquariums about 4 years ago after my first EBJD spawned after a couple months of having my first aquarium since I moved out of my parents house when I was 17...lol
Old 12-28-2011, 08:02 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Cornstar Send a message via Skype™ to Cornstar
What kind of snails are they? If they are malaysian trumpets, many people on this site would love to take them

Some snails are actually beneficial to the tank.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:29 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

I haven't the slightest clue what kind of snail they are

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20111229_082902.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	67577
Old 12-29-2011, 09:31 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I had them in a 20 gallon once. Used "Had-A-snail" and that took care of them.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:54 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Those are actually very pretty...... not sure what they are though... other than dinner for my assassins.

Tags
infestation, snail

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com