Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-28-2020, 12:45 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Snail infestation

Hello,

I have a planted tank roughly 6.5 gallons and its full of snails! This all started when I unknowingly put one snail in there thinking it would be cool, no it was not cool because now I have over 50 of them taking over my tank. Luckily I have enough plants and bacteria to keep the ammonia levels down but its just unsightly. They look nice in my bigger 20 gallon tank but not my small betta tank. I know there are water treatments to get rid of them but I also don't want to hurt my shrimp. I can't safely remove the shrimp from the tank because I have quite a few so I don't think treatment is the play. I've put blanched lettuce to help trap the snails and remove them from the tank but it never gets rid of 100% of them. Are assassin snails good for snail regulation? I know they require a bigger tank because they can get pretty big so are there similar species that can do what they do? Thanks!

Here are some pictures of my tank for reference. Don't mind my overgrown hairgrass, I haven't had time to trim it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	253.0 KB
ID:	317551   Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed (1).jpg
Views:	19
Size:	268.8 KB
ID:	317552  

Old 07-29-2020, 12:10 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Assassins don't grow that large, I've had MTS grow twice the size of my largest Assasin. Don't think I've ever had an Assasin over an inch long.

Old 07-29-2020, 01:19 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

I use the tool you use to flatten the su rate and squish them :/ (good snack for the fish though)
Keeps the levels down, but they are not eradicated.
I also make a habit of keeping assassins in all tanks.

Tags
infestation, snail

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com