Snail infestation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WeepingCrown

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,

I have a planted tank roughly 6.5 gallons and its full of snails! This all started when I unknowingly put one snail in there thinking it would be cool, no it was not cool because now I have over 50 of them taking over my tank. Luckily I have enough plants and bacteria to keep the ammonia levels down but its just unsightly. They look nice in my bigger 20 gallon tank but not my small betta tank. I know there are water treatments to get rid of them but I also don't want to hurt my shrimp. I can't safely remove the shrimp from the tank because I have quite a few so I don't think treatment is the play. I've put blanched lettuce to help trap the snails and remove them from the tank but it never gets rid of 100% of them. Are assassin snails good for snail regulation? I know they require a bigger tank because they can get pretty big so are there similar species that can do what they do? Thanks!

Here are some pictures of my tank for reference. Don't mind my overgrown hairgrass, I haven't had time to trim it.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 44
  • unnamed (1).jpg
    unnamed (1).jpg
    268.8 KB · Views: 55
Assassins don't grow that large, I've had MTS grow twice the size of my largest Assasin. Don't think I've ever had an Assasin over an inch long.

I use the tool you use to flatten the su rate and squish them :/ (good snack for the fish though)
Keeps the levels down, but they are not eradicated.
I also make a habit of keeping assassins in all tanks.

Back
Top Bottom