Snail invasion!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Animag771

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I got a new 20g tank and am currently doing a fishless cycle. I have live plants in the tank and I noticed something mucus-like hanging off of one of the leaves, I ignored it... Yesterday morning I noticed something on the front side of the tank and after closer inspection ITS A SNAIL!!!! I counted about 12 of them throughout the tank, they are VERY tiny. I think they are pond snails that hitched a ride on one of my plants, as eggs. I have taken those plants out of the tank, but how do I get rid of the snails? :banghead:

Ooh maybe the cycle will take care of them when it starts turning ammonia to nitrite. Then I don't have to be the murderous one :)

Yeah, and to be honest the nitrate would kill the assassin snail too. Oh, if you see any of the snails eggs, scoop them out.

Yeah, and to be honest the nitrate would kill the assassin snail too. Oh, if you see any of the snails eggs, scoop them out.

I have already done that, I am just worried that some may have gotten into the filter.

That's going to slow down my cycling and get rid of a lot of bacteria :( Will the nitrites get rid of the eggs too?

Maybe. But there probably aren't any eggs in the filter anyway. The eggs are very sticky and tend to stay on plants and stuff.

Woohoo... In that case I will just let the cycle keep going and see what happens in a week's time. If I still have snails after a week or so, I will squish them or get a clown loach from the fish store. I can't keep the loach in this tank though because it will outgrow it. When the snails are gone, I will just take it back to the pet store I guess. If they won't take it, there is always the internet.

Assassin snails or you could put a food tablet on a small saucer. The snails will be attracted to the food, then toss 'em. I would not recommend a clown loach for a 20 gallon tank.

I have a 55 gallon with 4 clown loaches and two other planted tanks. I collect the snails and put them in the clown loach tank. Needless to say they love it!

Assassin snails or you could put a food tablet on a small saucer. The snails will be attracted to the food, then toss 'em. I would not recommend a clown loach for a 20 gallon tank.

I have a 55 gallon with 4 clown loaches and two other planted tanks. I collect the snails and put them in the clown loach tank. Needless to say they love it!

Oh thanks, that is a great idea. If I did try a loach, I wouldn't be keeping it to adulthood. It wouldn't have time to outgrow my tank.

Thinking about it now though, I don't know how well the loach would do while my tank is cycling.

If you go the Loach route, get a Yoyo/Pakistani Loach rather then a Clown. They are very effective at erradicating snails and grow to a Max size of 4 inches. Suggested tank size is 30 gallons but that is a much smaller difference then a Clown Loach that gets up to 12 inches and require 100 gallon tanks...
Also worth noting is that youll need a lid on the tank. They are jumpers(I had one jump out of the filter cut out... they love swimming in currents and a hob filter waterfall must have been to tempting).

I'd say just leave them for now as they're completely harmless. If you find them very unsightly then google DIY snail trap, but certainly do not add anything to the tank while it is cycling. Wiping off any algae/diatoms and removing any dead leaves will severely limit their food source. Later when the cycle is done you can look into assassin snails, but snails are also a natural part of many planted tanks.

Snails are part of natural decomposition fauna and thus live among rotting vegetation and other detritus in their natural life.... why would they be susceptible to high nitrite?

Jeez everyone on these forums thinks that snails are good xD

I DONT!!! They are in infestation that I must rid... If I don't they will repopulate and spread like a disease!! The pet store that I got my plants from said they were spreading from tank to tank and they are so many they can't seem to get rid of them all. explains how they got onto my plants.

A temporary loach would be better than an assassin snail. Loaches are faster, better at killing, and less susceptible to nitrite and nitrate.

Back
Top Bottom