Snail invasion!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flitabout

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have no idea why but I have a massive snail invasion. I have never had an issue with them before. My assassins have always kept them under control but now the are everywhere constantly climbing the glass. I am really careful not to overfeed if anything I under feed, because I have a nitrate problem that my plants can't handle. I usually do 50% water changes on Tuesdays and Saturdays. The only thing I have been doing different is veggies for my pleco and ottos but that is usually cleaned up by morning and I take to leftovers out. I have had snails for years but never on this scale.

MTS are terrible to try and keep controlled. I started out with a few in my 20 gallon long and a few months later I had well over 200 that would cover all of the glass, substrate, everything, and get stuck in my filter propeller. It was so bad I just ended up taking the tank down and starting over

Assassins will eventually get them under control if you get enough - trouble is once you have assassins there can be no other snails

If u have the space what about some loaches? My old yoyo loaches I had rid my tank of snails super quickly!

If u have the space what about some loaches? My old yoyo loaches I had rid my tank of snails super quickly!

Great idea - dwarf loaches should work too. Just trying to think back - I think some snail types give them trouble if a long shell but they get them in the end.

Delapool yep my loaches never met a snail they couldn't eat even if it took them a bit to get them out of their shells! Plus they were super fun to watch and so curious!

Another thing to try is feed the tank less. Snails eat whatever fish don't get to. With less food some will starve off or at the least will slow down breeding. Slowdown in growth should help your assasins do their job. Fish can handle a day or two without food.

But honestly, I don't see MTS as a problem at all. Used to have an explosion of em in all my tanks. Now I barely see them

My fat kuhli’s are are useless. They just nudge the snails out of the way to get the food.

Last edited:
agrasyuk-I feed very sparingly and never on the side of the tank the snails congregate.
I do have plenty of space what type of loaches would you guys suggest? Tank stocking is:
55g
1 angel
1 white skirt glofish
1 bnp
9 neons
7 ottos

My vote is for yoyos! They were always my favorite And snails didn't stand a chance against them lol! ☺

My fat kuhli’s are are useless. They just nudge the snails out of the way to get the food.
Lol - they just look well-built. They do look to be on good pasture so to speak. My yoyo loaches are the same. Takes them a while to get the motivation to do anything about snails.

Here's my nine million little friends

Attachments

• 20180120_131351.jpg
    20180120_131351.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 56
  • 20180120_131406.jpg
    20180120_131406.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 59
  • 20180120_131418.jpg
    20180120_131418.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 55
Back