snail problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
akagochi said:
I have a planted tank with a multiplying snail population. Are they horrible for the plants? I don't mind how they look in the tank, but if they are bad for the plants then I will also be mailing them to Brunettebaby. :)

I'll take some too! As for your plants it depends on the type of snail as well as the type of plants. Do a little research to figure out what the snails are and just watch your plants for damage in the meantime.

I have pond snails, bladder snails, and ramshorn snails in various planted tanks, but none of them damage any of my plants.

How big is your tank? It sounds like you picked up some little trumpet snails and the population boom took off. Do they come all out at night?

I have a 29 gal. heavy planted tank. I have had (3) clown loaches for two years now and they do their job and are quite happy. It will take years before their size becomes an issue. Remeber, you can always remove them and get three new smaller ones. My pet store always gives me credit for larger healthy fish. If you have great filtration and do weekly water changes, the bioload should not be an issue at all.

Get nerite snails. They don't breed in fresh water and eat up (help control) your algae issues.

Hey you guys can send me all the snails you want!! My pet store always laughs at me when I buy something and ask if it will kill all my snails! They always tell me well you can always come back and get bunches more free ones!! lol My goldfish eats them like mad tho but I still have some survivors! :)

I dont think snails are a huge demand since they multiply rather quickly...or in my case NEVER! lol but petco is always happy to give me handfuls of the little pond snails for free lol

You might need more than one assassin, they aren't hermaphroditic so they won't reproduce and one snail roughly eats about a snail a day so if you have MTS or pond snails which are rather prolific breeders than one single assassin will not do much to keep the overall population in check.

Your best bet is to get a few assassins and also continue to manually remove the snails.

I also got pond snails from my plant orders, I continuously remove them by hand or well net anyways and throw them into my assassin tank. I like the graveyard of empty shells that's amassing.

I dont think snails are a huge demand since they multiply rather quickly...or in my case NEVER! lol but petco is always happy to give me handfuls of the little pond snails for free lol

I keep a SW aquarium, I wish they were given to us by the handfuls! lol, Instead we fork out handfuls of cash for them lol

Hehe I love love love snails so when the guy at petco was like here and filled up a bag I was overjoyed and than was like come back whenever and get some! I was like oh you better believe I willl! :)

I emptied my whole tank scrubbed and rinsed (soaked some of it) in EXTREMELY hot water. Sand substrate probably doesnt need to be removed but larger gravel will. Then everytime you see one squish it and let it sink or pull it out. The assassins help (and look darn cool). I went from hundreds to 0 in probably 2 weeks.

A couple of things. 1 assassin snails are really neat looking and do fine on shrimp pellets or algae wafers after you run out of pest snails. 2 if you get down in the gravel a little when you vac you will get a lot of the younger snails, especially if they are of the little trumpet variety.

Back
Top Bottom