Snail problem!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meese-a-mew

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got some plants and they put snails in my tank! How do I get rid of them!!
Help? they are in my 8 gallon cube.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389056981.544824.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389057027.274952.jpg

Add Clown Loaches. I added 3 to my 40 gal. Tank snails were gone in a few days.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I do not suggest adding a fish to that can grow to over a foot into a tank to take care of snails. Especially not into an 8g aquarium.
My best suggestion is spot removal. Also, feed less. If there is less excess food, there will be fewer snails. you can try putting down a slice of blanched zucchini and picking it up once it becomes snail-filled. That helps take out bigger bunches of them. By continually doing those this, you will definitely be able to help keep the numbers down, or they may just all disappear.
Also, keep in mind, they won't hurt anything. I just leave pest snails alone. they are kinda cute, and just durtle about the tank anyways.

Definitely do not add loaches to an 8 gallon tank.. Clown loaches especially grow huge. I suggest picking them out by hand and if it continues to be a problem get one assassin snail.

I second the suggestion of using blanched zucchini. Do that a couple times to get most of them out then add an assassin snail. once the assassin kills what's left, he'll help be the clean up crew.

Get assassin snails! Unless you wish to not keep them, they're cool looking and won't breed in freshwater!

Get assassin snails! Unless you wish to not keep them, they're cool looking and won't breed in freshwater!

What do you mean they wont breed in freshwAter? My assassins have laid tons of eggs and I can see the little snails developing and getting bigger by the week.

They won't survive everyone I've met that owns assassins have never had any baby snails, I've owned 5 for a year now without any multiplication.

Lots of people sell them in the classifies section because theirs have bred..

I think your confusing nerite snails with assassin snails. Nerite snails need saltwater for eggs to hatch.

Assassins need a male and a female and their eggs take a really long time to hatch. 4-6 weeks I think.

assassin snails will control the snails given you have enough assassins.........assassin reproduce but slowly.....started out with 5 two years ago have quite a few now, hard to tell how many because the mostly stay hidden till they attack

Assassin snails might be the solution to your problem, but they also reproduce. I recommend getting a jar and placing some food in it like zucchini/cucumber and just collect the snails from the jar.

Anyone know anyone in Canada that can ship assasin snails to BC?

I do not suggest adding a fish to that can grow to over a foot into a tank to take care of snails. Especially not into an 8g aquarium.
My best suggestion is spot removal. Also, feed less. If there is less excess food, there will be fewer snails. you can try putting down a slice of blanched zucchini and picking it up once it becomes snail-filled. That helps take out bigger bunches of them. By continually doing those this, you will definitely be able to help keep the numbers down, or they may just all disappear.
Also, keep in mind, they won't hurt anything. I just leave pest snails alone. they are kinda cute, and just durtle about the tank anyways.

+1 (y)
Be patient and persistent, and you will succeed in removing them without introducing anything else to your tank.
Make sure you clean the surfaces of your filter (they love to lay their little sacs of eggs in there).
I currently have a trumpet snail problem of my own causing. I'm a chronic over feeder. I put veggie slices in when the lights are off, and and an hour or two later I remove the slices to wash off the snails, and then put the veggies back to catch more. The longer the vegetable is in the tank the more they love it, but that's probably just because of the type of snail I have. If yours are leaf eaters, perhaps try lettuce leaves?

Assassin snails (along with Nerites and just about any other snail you can think of) are illegal to import into Australia, so we've had no choice but to learn to be patient and persistent in dealing with pest snails. I never have or will try poison in my tanks, but there are always those who have used them with success.

Back
Top Bottom