Snail problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChanEKC

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok so I thought I was done ever worrying about snails when I got rid of my live plants 3 months ago. I think that the frozen Mysis Shrimp I bought to feed my fish was harboring a bunch of snail eggs, that is the only thing I can think of that would cause this problem. I went to go turn off the light to my aquaruim tonight and I noticed something floating in the tank that was attached to the glass and I thought it was the shrimp. Which I thought "ok it's time to stop feeding that to them because they don't seem to like it much and now it's sticking to the glass" I got up close to look at it and it was tiny little snail. And I started looking around more and I found over 20 more even smaller snails on the front glass! It looks like there may be even more on the glass on the rear and some on the sides, and obviously in the substrate! How do get rid of this many snails!?

Honestly I wouldn't try to get rid of them. Snails will happen at some point in time no matter what, you can't really ever get rid of them.
You can keep their population in check by not feeding the tank too much. Too much food=more snails.
I don't think they came from the frozen food, as it would be nearly impossible for them to stay alive there.
What kind of fish are they?

Idk were else they would have come from. It's crazy there's gotta be like 100 brand new baby snails in there.
I have 4 mollys and a Violet Goby

U can either buy some assassin snails who eat ur "pest" snails OR advertise them as puffer fish need snails as part of their diet. Some owners wud take them off of ur hands.

Okay so it's been awhile since I've asked for help and I was hoping to get some more feed back this time. I'm posting a photo of some of the snails this time to maybe someone knows what kind they are? This is about a 2 inch section of some of my driftwood. It's like this all over the tank. But they don't cover the glass anymore so it is a little better than it was.

Since I originally posted this thread I've been cleaning the water twice a week and going through the sand with the gravel hose and I have gotten 3 assassin snails. I've started taking out the drift wood every few days and giving them a thorough rinse because the snails always accumulate on them

Attachments

• 20170605_224914.jpg
    20170605_224914.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 57
They look like Malaysian trumpet snails. They will keep your gravel or sand clean and will stir it to keep it from building toxic gas as well as eat any crud that usually grows on new wood. If you overfeed the tank they can multiply fast. If you watch how much you feed they are a good cleaning crew.

I second assassin snails. They look beautiful. They eat snails. They love sand and will also feed on food/dead fish. They will breed, but not very fast.

Back
Top Bottom